Reply
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,619
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

A mother from Maine has been charged with endangering a child after leaving her 17-month-old son in a shopping cart outside a Target. 

 

Taylor Perdue, 27, from Acton, was at the Robert Drive shopping center in Easton when the mishap occurred.

 

Officers responded to find the baby boy with a customer who found him. 

 

The child appeared to be unharmed and was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital to be evaluated.

 

About an hour after leaving the child it appears the mother realized that her baby was missing and returned back to the store according to WHDH.

 

Police eventually caught up with Perdue who told cops that after leaving Target she returned to her car, along with three friends, and believed that one of her companions had secured her son in his rear-facing car seat.

 

She also told police that she traveled to Plymouth in her car while her friends left in a separate cars and that she only realized her son wasn’t in the car seat only when she arrived at her destination.

 

Easton Police notified the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families, which now launched its own investigation.

 

At the moment, Perdue has custody of the child, however Perdue is expected to be arraigned in Taunton District Court on a later date.

 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6203553/Mom-charged-driving-accidentally-leaving-toddler-sh...

 

 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

Am I reading this right? She had three friends with her, who let her drive off, leaving the baby in the cart in the parking lot?

If this is what happened, she and her friends need drug tests. If they pass those, I don't know what she needs, but she sure doesn't need a baby, imho.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

[ Edited ]

Sounds like a horrible mistake. Doesn't sound like the woman intended to harm her child. We ALL have momentary lapses of judgement. I just thank goodness mine never resulted in any harm to children. I am hyper aware that these mistakes/accidents can happen to anyone, so I'm always making mental and written lists when my grandson is under my care.

 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,214
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

I can understand 'baby brain' and post partum issues, but a 17 month old is pretty hard to forget about, asleep or otherwise. 

 

There are so many people out there that should never have kids. And this is no too young, overwhelmed mother.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot


@bathina wrote:

Sounds like a horrible mistake. Doesn't sound like the woman intended to harm her child. We ALL have momentary lapses of judgement. I just thank goodness mine never resulted in any harm to children. I am hyper aware that these mistakes/accidents can happen to anyone, so I'm always making mental and written lists when my grandson is under my care. 



Well, I have forgotten many things in my life. I am not perfect and am always on the hunt for something I have misplaced. I don't know how you can leave a nearly nearly 2 year old kid in a shopping basket. For one thing, when I get in my car, I look both ways and in back of me and I usually do this twice because of the folks who go speeding thru the parking lots. It looks like she'd have seen this kid in the cart. Poor kid.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot


@Happycat01 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Sounds like a horrible mistake. Doesn't sound like the woman intended to harm her child. We ALL have momentary lapses of judgement. I just thank goodness mine never resulted in any harm to children. I am hyper aware that these mistakes/accidents can happen to anyone, so I'm always making mental and written lists when my grandson is under my care. 



Well, I have forgotten many things in my life. I am not perfect and am always on the hunt for something I have misplaced. I don't know how you can leave a nearly nearly 2 year old kid in a shopping basket. For one thing, when I get in my car, I look both ways and in back of me and I usually do this twice because of the folks who go speeding thru the parking lots. It looks like she'd have seen this kid in the cart. Poor kid.


I realize it is hard to believe. Do you think she did it purposely?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot


@bathina wrote:

@Happycat01 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Sounds like a horrible mistake. Doesn't sound like the woman intended to harm her child. We ALL have momentary lapses of judgement. I just thank goodness mine never resulted in any harm to children. I am hyper aware that these mistakes/accidents can happen to anyone, so I'm always making mental and written lists when my grandson is under my care. 



Well, I have forgotten many things in my life. I am not perfect and am always on the hunt for something I have misplaced. I don't know how you can leave a nearly nearly 2 year old kid in a shopping basket. For one thing, when I get in my car, I look both ways and in back of me and I usually do this twice because of the folks who go speeding thru the parking lots. It looks like she'd have seen this kid in the cart. Poor kid.


I realize it is hard to believe. Do you think she did it purposely?


I honestly don't know. I can't comprehend it, and I do forget alot myself. I just can't wrap my head around it. Do you think they get on their phones and just tune everything out but what they are looking at on the phone maybe?

I do admit there seems to be a lot more to distract us now than when my kids were little.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

@Happycat01 I do think she was distracted. She had friends with her, they were probably chatting and who knows what else. Maybe they had some drinks during their shopping excursion? I don't know. I just know that anytime I hear these awful stories, I say a little prayer of thanks that it's not me or mine. There, but for the grace of God go I, and all that.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,374
Registered: ‎09-22-2017

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

 

It took a whole hour, 60 minutes, until she realized he was not with her.

 

Poor kid. 

 

I bet she had her phone with her.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,823
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Mom leaves Toddler in Shopping Cart in Parking Lot

I have forgotten many things but never my son.I can’t understand it.His safety and well being was always my number one priority.I will never understand how anyone could be too distracted by their life to forget a small child.