Frequent Contributor

Re: Seriously considering retirement --- could we talk?

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@thechedda....if you are looking a health care until you are medicare age...Look at the health sharing policies...the are non traditional.

Medishare, LIberty Share there are several, be sure to read the fine print and ask lots of questions.  If you have pre existing conditions, it may not be for you.

Thank you!  You all have given me some great information. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Thank you! What I did not get into was how lucky we feel. One can plan, work hard, save, etc. and still have things NOT go as hoped. Our careers went well, and we started them at a time when one could more or less count on sticking with an employer and being secure. Those days are gone for so many young people just starting out. Yes, we worked hard, but most people do. We were blessed.❤️

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Again I ask..DO YOU HAVE A FINANCIAL PLANNER?  That is the first step. Not discontinuing a $10 subscription. 

@SeaMaiden

I am just trying to have a friendly discourse on what small tips and things others did when planning for their rtetirement.  I am not looking for people to get upset or argumentative because they do not agree with what I am posting, i.e., discontinuing magazine suscriptions, etc.  Thank you, I appreciate your post.  

@AngelPuppy1     you ask for advice.   I asked a question that you never answered...... was not argumentative... 

AND   you still never answered my question.....   That is  all I have to say on this thread

Yes, @AngelPuppy1 asked for advice.  But she didn't ask for an inquisition.  Saying, "Again I ask" absolutely is argumentative.  If she didn't answer the first time, then perhaps she thinks it's none of your business.  

She doesn't have to answer your question, no matter how many times you ask or how much you underline or write in all caps.  I actually think she was very cordial to you, and if you read her other replies you can see that she's a very nice person.  There's no need to jump all over her and act as though she's obligated to answer whatever you decide you want to ask.

Esteemed Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

Wow, after reading this, I'm seriously depressed.  Give up this, give up that, don't spend money, stay home, have one car...I think I'm going to work for a while!

Don't be depressed.  I know many people who are retired and living wonderful lives.  Their lifestyles overall haven't changed that much, except they have more free time to do the things they love to do!  They spend money, travel, keep their cars, etc.  Some of them downsized, and love living a simpler life.  Others kept their homes and are happy that way.  I know people who were forced into early retirement - with no chance to prepare or save - and they're doing just fine too.

It's a good idea to get ducks in a row, of course.  But I know a lot of retired people, and all of them are happier now than they were before.

Honored Contributor

I really want to thank everyone for your replies and for sharing your experiences.  I am appreciative of everybody taking the time and the kindness and helpfullness everyone has shown.  I know we all look at things so differently and that is what makes life interesting.  Please know that I value all of your opinions, and everything you have written gives me food for thought.  I sincerely wish a happy, healthy and prosperous retirement for everone here!  Blessings... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin