Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Wow!  Losing almost 2 million customers seems like a HUGE amount for any company.

I don't know the answers.  I don't know any young people, so I don't know what, if anything, they watch on tv, but I feel like tv shopping like qvc/hsn/etc would not be a draw for young folks.   Of course, I could be wrong.  Smiley Happy

IMO, one issue could be that the vast majority of what they sell is 'wants' opposed to 'needs' and you can generally find your wants elsewhere for less and better service.   That's an important combination in terms of retailing.

Yet you're still able to post and complain here.  Yet, they still have all those cable channels from which they broadcast.  Yet, they are still bringing in various lines trying to provide variety.  You'd think they would have been "bust by now?" Don'cha think @chickenbutt ?  Why aren't they belly up yet?  Methinks it's because they know what they're doing.

Finally, as I mentioned to @Spurt QVC is not the only company in the world to lose earnings after the Pandemic.  We are still in an inflationary period as well.  

Hi @gertrudecloset  I'm not complaining or anything.  I was just making an observation, mostly just mulling over the loss of customer thing and wishing I knew the answers because I don't.

I would certainly imagine they know more than I!   Smiley Happy  I just wonder what audience they target now and am curious about that audience because, as mentioned, I don't know any young people.  I think it would be interesting, converse to somebody older like myself, what would draw a younger crowd that will be around for a lot longer than some of us.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't know any younger people? 

I have children whose age fits the demographic that the Q would likely be trying to target.  I have a grandson too, but he won't be shopping from the Q.  Neither of the generations of my family mentioned above will shop at the Q, however.

I think they are going after Gen X'ers.  Not Gen Y or Millenials @chickenbutt the problem with this is that those born in the latter part of the grouping are too close to millenials in age so they likely won't do a lot tv shopping.  TV shopping was once a big thing, obviously.  However, now many people shop directly from their phones.  

Generation X, a term typically used to describe the generation of Americans born between 1965 and 1980, although some sources used slightly different ranges. It has sometimes been called the “middle child” generation, as it follows the well-known baby boomer generation and precedes the millennial generation. It has fewer members than either of those groups, which is one of the reasons that Generation X is considered to be forgotten or overlooked when the generations are discussed.

In order to keep the Millennial generation analytically meaningful, and to begin looking at what might be unique about the next cohort, Pew Research Center decided a year ago to use 1996 as the last birth year for Millennials for our future work. Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial, and anyone born from 1997 onward is part of a new generation.

Anyway, let's hope that what the Q did bodes well for them.  That benefits everyone (even those who feel some type of way) about being left out.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Perfect example of why  I shop HSN all the time, always great offers and coupons. I have not bought one thing from the Q in the last 10 years!!

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Wow!  Losing almost 2 million customers seems like a HUGE amount for any company.

I don't know the answers.  I don't know any young people, so I don't know what, if anything, they watch on tv, but I feel like tv shopping like qvc/hsn/etc would not be a draw for young folks.   Of course, I could be wrong.  Smiley Happy

IMO, one issue could be that the vast majority of what they sell is 'wants' opposed to 'needs' and you can generally find your wants elsewhere for less and better service.   That's an important combination in terms of retailing.

Yet you're still able to post and complain here.  Yet, they still have all those cable channels from which they broadcast.  Yet, they are still bringing in various lines trying to provide variety.  You'd think they would have been "bust by now?" Don'cha think @chickenbutt ?  Why aren't they belly up yet?  Methinks it's because they know what they're doing.

Finally, as I mentioned to @Spurt QVC is not the only company in the world to lose earnings after the Pandemic.  We are still in an inflationary period as well.  

Hi @gertrudecloset  I'm not complaining or anything.  I was just making an observation, mostly just mulling over the loss of customer thing and wishing I knew the answers because I don't.

I would certainly imagine they know more than I!   Smiley Happy  I just wonder what audience they target now and am curious about that audience because, as mentioned, I don't know any young people.  I think it would be interesting, converse to somebody older like myself, what would draw a younger crowd that will be around for a lot longer than some of us.

I have children whose age fits the demographic that the Q would likely be trying to target.  I have a grandson too, but he won't be shopping from the Q.  Neither of the generations of my family mentioned above will shop at the Q, however.

I think they are going after Gen X'ers.  Not Gen Y or Millenials @chickenbutt the problem with this is that those born in the latter part of the grouping are too close to millenials in age so they likely won't do a lot tv shopping.  TV shopping was once a big thing, obviously.  However, now many people shop directly from their phones.  

Generation X, a term typically used to describe the generation of Americans born between 1965 and 1980, although some sources used slightly different ranges. It has sometimes been called the “middle child” generation, as it follows the well-known baby boomer generation and precedes the millennial generation. It has fewer members than either of those groups, which is one of the reasons that Generation X is considered to be forgotten or overlooked when the generations are discussed.

In order to keep the Millennial generation analytically meaningful, and to begin looking at what might be unique about the next cohort, Pew Research Center decided a year ago to use 1996 as the last birth year for Millennials for our future work. Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 (ages 23 to 38 in 2019) is considered a Millennial, and anyone born from 1997 onward is part of a new generation.

Anyway, let's hope that what the Q did bodes well for them.  That benefits everyone (even those who feel some type of way) about being left out.

I was born in the middle of the Gen X range.  Everyone in my circle of friends, suburban moms who have swapped their mini vans for SUV's, shops at QVC at least on occasion. I was on a group Marco Polo with four of my girlfriends this morning.  I'm wearing a dress from QVC, one friend was wearing an Isaac Mizrahi ruana, and another was wearing a BFD pullover.  I didn't ask, but I assume she got it at the Q.  Most of us shop on the app and if we are actually watching QVC, we expect to be entertained in some form or fashion.  Shawn, Amy, and Jennifer are relatable to us.  Kerstin is the hot mess friend and Kourtney is like the little sister.

You can tell yourselves only senior citizens shop here, but my experience disproves that.

Esteemed Contributor

QXH CUSTOMER AGE DISTRIBUTION 

Source:  Qurate Market Research

18-24: 1%

25-34: 3%

35-44:  8%

45-54:  17%

55-64:  29%

65-74:  28%

75+:  14%

Super Contributor
I am an old Gen Xer. I personally don’t know anyone else who is as young as I who shops at QVC for clothes. I think I would recognize some of the items if I saw them out and about. we are a pretty small generation, and very pragmatic. being in the older part of my generation, I still like the clothes that were popular when I was a young adult which includes more fitted and tailored items. I do think LOGO type items appealed to my generation several years ago, but I think now the trend is more muted looks.
Contributor

Bye, Bye QVC. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Seriously, QVC???

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

QXH CUSTOMER AGE DISTRIBUTION 

Source:  Qurate Market Research

18-24: 1%

25-34: 3%

35-44:  8%

45-54:  17%

55-64:  29%

65-74:  28%

75+:  14%

Interesting and I don't see that distribution changing because the new boss (same as the old boss) is tossing free shipping out there to new customers for the next few weeks. Younger shoppers are used to getting deals almost everywhere they shop. Meanwhile, established customers as a group are annoyed by this move. Spin it any way you like, it doesn't seem like such a brilliant marketing ploy. But then, Qurate's so rarely do. One might also suggest that if retail gurus knew best, merely by virtue of them being retail gurus, then retail's performance would be universally more successful than it's proving to be... Merely being a corporate type doesn't necessarily mean one is good at it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I was born in the middle of the Gen X range.  Everyone in my circle of friends, suburban moms who have swapped their mini vans for SUV's, shops at QVC at least on occasion. I was on a group Marco Polo with four of my girlfriends this morning.  I'm wearing a dress from QVC, one friend was wearing an Isaac Mizrahi ruana, and another was wearing a BFD pullover.  I didn't ask, but I assume she got it at the Q.  Most of us shop on the app and if we are actually watching QVC, we expect to be entertained in some form or fashion.  Shawn, Amy, and Jennifer are relatable to us.  Kerstin is the hot mess friend and Kourtney is like the little sister.

You can tell yourselves only senior citizens shop here, but my experience disproves that.

I didn't myself anything about the demographics of who shops here.  Someone mentioned who they thought the Q might be trying to reach, so the logical next step would be those in the earlier cohort than the Silent Generation and the Baby Boomers. 

Just a theory.  Many of the products sold here (especially fashion) none of the people who are my children's ages would wear the stuff.  Not even the "active stuff."  Of course, their are people who find a few products here they can't find elsewhere and they probably like them.  I don't know ~ it doesn't matter to me.  No one in this country is confined to one way of doing something.  Different is bad either it's just "different."

I merely gave an explanation of the demographic the Q "might be" looking to gain traction with and added what those groups ages ranges would be for the sole purpose of simply knowing what we're talking about in this discusion when we mention what age cohort[s] they may be trying to attract @RollTide2008 .

Esteemed Contributor

@GoodyShoes wrote:
I am an old Gen Xer. I personally don’t know anyone else who is as young as I who shops at QVC for clothes. I think I would recognize some of the items if I saw them out and about. we are a pretty small generation, and very pragmatic. being in the older part of my generation, I still like the clothes that were popular when I was a young adult which includes more fitted and tailored items. I do think LOGO type items appealed to my generation several years ago, but I think now the trend is more muted looks.

The same for me, as I stated my children and grandson cover both of the age cohorts I just mentioned upthread.  None of them have ever shopped for anything from QVC.  I have a Millenial and Gen X'er and my grandson straddles the end of Gen X and Gen Z.

Valued Contributor

Re: Seriously, QVC???

[ Edited ]

I think the idea of shopping from TV will die out in the next 10-15 yrs. Maybe sooner.  Perhaps it will "ONLY" be a streaming "network" set up like hulu or something and you just pick your show (LOGO, Temptations, etc) no host just a vendor, and one sub-section is the TSV or Big Deal.

I cannot see the "DEMAND" from viewership to require 3 tv channels (so much redundancy in production, direction, models, hosts, film crew, etc and that is all expense and not PROFIT).  Streaming separate shows on roku, fire stick, etc. are what is happening now, and will continue.  Younger and middle aged generations are not buying cable in droves like years ago in the traditional sense, it is too ridiculously expensive and streaming apps appear to be what TV is and leaning towards for the future.  Even networks push more of their content to the apps.

ETA: I am also a Gen X'er, and I would respectfully disagree that Amy, Shawn and Jen C are the most relatable as noted above, by another commenter.  They have worn out their relatability by being rude, talking over people, and always talking in some fashion about themselves. This is not the behavior I relate to, I am the opposite, as are my friends of the same age range and generation.They only relate to me in age range.  Their lifestyles do not to relate to me either, popping off  for a vaca with the hubby and no kids, laughable! (To be fair that may have been Ali C).  And, I am the only one in my family or circle of friends who shops QVC, regularly.  Usually people ask me where I got something, they have no idea what QVC is.