Esteemed Contributor

I know that I'll "get over" my feelings of attachment with time, but it may take me awhile.

My dad is 88, and once he's gone.......

Respected Contributor

i've been upset 3 times so far in my lifetime regarding family homes being sold.  the first was when i was a little girl and it must have taken me 20 years to get over that one.  my mother's house was sold and they made so many changes it was unrecognizable and i hated driving past.

then there was the home my husband and i lived in and sold.  a real beauty and when we sold, they tore out trees, shrubs and completely ruined the architecture of the house by putting in an addition.  i've never been past to see that, it would break my heart. 

Honored Contributor

I never lived in my Grandparents house (except for staying over when they babysat us) but I was very close to them and after my grandpa died it was a little bit of a heartbreak to see it sold. It was purchased for the nice lot it stood on - was an old house from 1926 and was immediately torn down to build a new house there. The house I grew up in my parents sold as soon as the last kid moved out so - since we still had them , the loss of that house was not a big deal to any of us.

Honored Contributor

Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I know that I'll "get over" my feelings of attachment with time, but it may take me awhile.

My dad is 88, and once he's gone.......

I hope you didn't think my post was a 'get over it' post.  It wasn't.  It was just me trying to help in the only way I know how, but I would never do the 'get over it' thing.  I HATE that.  I mean well.

Esteemed Contributor

My dad planted a Japaneese Maple that grew in to a beautiful tree, and his favorite rose bush a Lincoln.

If the new people were to take those out, it would break my dad's heart, and in turn it would break mine to see his heart broken.

In fact, I'm afraid that it would kill him.

Esteemed Contributor
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

Just about every time I've sold a house, I have wept for the memories made in that house and the life being left behind. I don't think it's odd at all.

ITA! All of the houses DH and I have owned are being lovingly taken care of. We "visited" our second one when we went to a wedding there this past summer. We hear from friends about house #3. We saw our first house about a year ago.

On the other hand - the house my parents lived in is a mess! It sits on an inlet of the bay, and was built with bricks the contractor got when they renovated Ford's Theater in D.C. My mom had a beautiful rose garden, and it was landscaped beautifully. It had a black wrought iron street lamp and benches on the front porch. The landscaping is completely gone, the wrought iron has been painted dark red, and aside from one tree in the front yard, the front of the house is completely bare - just a bunch of dirt in front. Not my taste, but oh, well. (My best friend lives near there, so I've driven by a few times.)

My aunt and uncle's home in another state is also not taken care of. We went out of our way to drive by that one, since we were so close. It broke my heart to see it. 

Respected Contributor

Dear Plaid Pants2:

I can relate to this very well.  A little over a year ago, I moved my Mom 86 (soon to be 87) and Dad 91 into an assisted living 1 bedroom Apt.  

Having to break up the "Family Home" where they raised 6 children was one of the most difficult jobs I have ever had to do to this day.  It is (was) a big 6 bedroom home, that was full of love and wonderful memories.  It was their home for 60 years! 

With me living 3,000 miles away it made this all the more difficult.  I spent months back east with my brother clearing and cleaning out their and our family home.  I am blessed to have a wonderful understanding husband, who love my parents as his own for this made being away much easier.

Each and every room tells a story.  For my family it was a "GREAT STORY"...With loving and wonderful memories. 

I just told my brother the other evening..."Go to the house and in the basement under the stairs is the old pencile sharpner...(My Dad attached behind the stairs for us kids).  I asked him, "Has anyone removed it"?  He gave me a call and said, "Oh wow...I forgot about that...Yes, it is still there".  (I had just read something on MSN about items that are becoming things of the past and one was the old fashion metal pencile sharpner). 

Several of my mothers neighbors from their neighborhood came to me and asked, "Can they can dig up some of my mothers treasured flowers"?  My mothers flower garden was the talk of the neighborhood, it was her hobby and passion.  They too, wanted a momory of Mom and Dad.  I said, "Yes, it would give me great joy knowing a part of my Mom lives on in your gardens".  It made my mom's heart smile and sing, knowing that some of her treasured flowers will live on with love.

Mom & Dad's home has just sold.  The final closing it this Friday,  October 30th.  

Yes, it is difficult.  Yes, it will always be home...Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sentimental Attachment

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 et al, it's a trip down memory lane isn't it.  I haven't read all the posts yet but I will go back and do that after I post.

When my father passed away, the estate sold the family home.  Such a beautiful home.  200 hundred years old,lovely gardens.  The home was large.  I was one of ten children.  I wanted to remember the home as it was when we lived there so I commissioned a painting of the house.  I wanted to get it done ASAP as I was worried it would get chopped up into apartments.  The painting is so special to me.  Fast forward 20 years.  My brother bought the house and restored it to original specifications.  His is gone now but his wife lives there.  Such a happy ending to that story.

I also had a painting done of the first home my husband and I lived in for 26 years before we built our retirement home.  I gave this to DH for our 30th anniversary.  For our 35th, I gave him a carving of our current home.  I love each one as all of these homes hold very special memories for me and us.

If you cherish your homes like I do, it's easily done.  I have this art displayed in our dining room where we gather for family dinners.  LM

Honored Contributor

Our second home, which was smaller than our first home, was my maternal grandparents.

I bought it from my parents after my grandfather died.

Too many happy memories were there, it was the only house they lived since I was born.

From my earlies memories, you could always smell sugar cookies as soon as you walked in the front door.  (I think it was just the cookie jar itself.)

I paid extra money to be able to keep the phone number as it was the first phone number I learned to dial.

My family started migrating south and we followed so we sold the house.  It was a beautiful old house, it reminded me of the house in the original 'Father of the Bride' w/ Elizabeth Taylor.

I dreamed of that house for years after we sold it.  I would dream that I would sneak in and make dinner for my family before the new owners would come home. 

That house is still a beauty all these years later and of course I drive by it when I visit my one sister.  It's over 5 hundred miles away from home, but it's still close to my heart.