Respected Contributor

Anyone have any experiences selling pewter?

People talk about selling gold and silver but cannot recall a discussion about pewter.

My mother collected pewter figures as well as some table top items. No one in the family has any interest in these type of things.

Honored Contributor

Re: Selling Pewter?

[ Edited ]

Pewger is not a precious metal like gold and silver.  Probably has little value.

Pewter is a metal alloy of tin and lead, but it's mostly composed of tin. Tin prices generally fluctuate between $7 and $11 per pound. When selling for scrap, you can expect to get roughly 50% of the current price – so scrap pewter, therefore, is generally worth around $3 to $5 per pound at a scrap yard

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I recently asked my gold and silver dealer if pewter had any value. He said that unless it was antique, there was no resale value. 

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

I recently asked my gold and silver dealer if pewter had any value. He said that unless it was antique, there was no resale value. 

@sydsgma1 

That is my understanding as well; it can have value depending on the Maker, and Age.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Pewter isn't a noble metal, the pewter itself wouldn't be worth anything.  The items might be worth something, perhaps alot depending on their age, historical  significance and who made them.  I'd make some calls and find someone who could appraise them for me.

Honored Contributor

Pewter is like many collectibles where the value is in the eye of the beholder.

What we paid to buy the items often has no bearing on what we'll get when we try to sell them.

Respected Contributor

I should have asked if perhaps artist would recast scrap pewter into other items?

Respected Contributor

Re: Selling Pewter?

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

I should have asked if perhaps artist would recast scrap pewter into other items?

It might depend on the pewter. Old pewter contains lead and many people may not want to be exposed to that or may find it harder to sell if they do recast it.

Newer pewter is lead-free.

You'll have to ask individual artists or contact a foundry.