Esteemed Contributor

Re: Selling Doll Collection…

I would contact the nursing home and ask if you could bring in the dolls and have residents pick what they want; it would be an event for them and you could make someone very happy. This is a generation that would appreciate a doll like you describe. There are health protocols in place so maybe they aren’t able to allow this now but if interested it can be done in a bit. I worked with the elderly population and particularly in dementia cases, it gives some great comfort to hold a doll. Maybe memories of when they held their own children.

I’d not look to children’s organization as they are more a collectible or display item not a toy item

I’d check some churches in your area and maybe you could post something there and older ladies might be interested

Lastly, children’s hospitals but again it isn’t the type of doll a child would play with and donations to cancer centers for children have very strict protocols, probably all new due to the nature of their illness.

I think in the nursing home situation, you might find those who would be very appreciative. It would cause no issue for the staff for you set them up in a conference room & just bring the ladies down to see them. It will bring a little joy to them even if they don’t take a doll but I bet they will
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

why not donate them to a childrens hospital? St Judes or the like? You could still use them as a donation tax write off most likely and make a sick  child so happy!

Hospitals do not accept used toys due to infection control guidelines.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@amyb  I recently had to move, I had so many treasured collectibles, some were mine, others were my deceased mothers'. I was told there wasn't a market for any of it, young people are just not interested. As much as it pained me I had to let it all go ( throwing it out). You could try Facebook  Market Place, I tried it, it wasn't for me. An example, my mother had a dining room table and chairs that were in good condition, I asked $100 for it. Someone told me that was too much, so I lowered it to $75. Someone wanted just the table, I said it is a set you take the chairs (what would I then do with the chairs). Someone wanted me to ship the set to them, that was a no and I took it off Facebook and threw it out. Good luck in finding a home for your dolls. 

@Jordan2 My parents had a house full of Ethan Allen furniture.  The low ball bids and the unreasonable requests for us to eat the shipping cost to them was infuriating.  We kids ended up keeping all of it even though we really didn't have space for it but we were not going to be taken advantage of, so we made space for it.  Still angers me whenever I think about it.  I would rather see it burn in a bonfire than be taken advantage of.  

@agb80 I on the other hand came to look upon a garage sale as anything I could get and some I basically paid to haul off stuff.  I would far far rather pay someone to take it than live with it if I can't throw it away if it has no worth to me. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@amyb  I recently had to move, I had so many treasured collectibles, some were mine, others were my deceased mothers'. I was told there wasn't a market for any of it, young people are just not interested. As much as it pained me I had to let it all go ( throwing it out). You could try Facebook  Market Place, I tried it, it wasn't for me. An example, my mother had a dining room table and chairs that were in good condition, I asked $100 for it. Someone told me that was too much, so I lowered it to $75. Someone wanted just the table, I said it is a set you take the chairs (what would I then do with the chairs). Someone wanted me to ship the set to them, that was a no and I took it off Facebook and threw it out. Good luck in finding a home for your dolls. 

@Jordan2 My parents had a house full of Ethan Allen furniture.  The low ball bids and the unreasonable requests for us to eat the shipping cost to them was infuriating.  We kids ended up keeping all of it even though we really didn't have space for it but we were not going to be taken advantage of, so we made space for it.  Still angers me whenever I think about it.  I would rather see it burn in a bonfire than be taken advantage of.  

@agb80 I on the other hand came to look upon a garage sale as anything I could get and some I basically paid to haul off stuff.  I would far far rather pay someone to take it than live with it if I can't throw it away if it has no worth to me. 

@Sooner this was not a garage sale and we were not hard up for money.  We never will allow anyone to take advantage of us.  

Honored Contributor

I'd be happy just to give the things I have from my Mother away. Most of it is type like fancy dinnerware with every serving dish imaginable. Bavarian China vases, cups and saucers, crystal candlesticks, dishes,etc,etc. no one wants these type of things anymore. I would gladly give any of it to someone who would want it instead of having to trash it.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Didn't you have a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a thrift that you could have donated them to rather than throw out?  Some places will even pick up.

@tends2dogs Goodwill and The Salvation Army are very particular about what they'll take. 

Esteemed Contributor

From your post, @Jordan2 , I didn't assume that your items were junky.  I have never had Goodwill refuse any item I took to them, especially tables or chairs.   It could be a matter of location and how overloaded these places get.  I can't imagine sorting through all that, but then again, I love to thrift at Goodwills and such.  I have found many good things (to me), but again, sometimes you have to pick through a lot of junk.  Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

When I was buying a new couch and chair, I asked the CO-based furniture store what to do with the older ones on delivery and the salesman gave me a paper for a charity that takes furniture or other furnishings. It's wasn't the regular donation places, but a couple of young men who have a small local church that helps furnishing homes for ones who are needing help when they get a home provided to them (like Habitat for Humanity, but not them). I gave them the furniture and coordinating furnishings, and they were extremely excited to get this all for one family.

Other times, I've given to them anytime I have stuff like decor, toys, much good stuff when I pared down. Might be other places have a small charity like this who don't get noticed. It was like one in a thousand times, I asked about something and got a good answer!

Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Someone mentioned having to get rid of silverware that their kids didn't want.  My parents had a great collection of silver in a beautiful grape pattern.  They had a lot of fun over the years searching for pieces to make up a set.  They were used often.  When they passed, we took several pieces and had bracelets make from them.....one for each of the female relatives.  They are a great keepsake and remembrance of happy, family get togethers.  

Just a thought...

This is a great idea.  One of my friends did the same thing with her mom's tea cup collection.  She sent one to each female member of her family, as a remembrance of her mother. She kept one or two for herself.  It is also important that your parents had fun putting the collection together.  Plus the silverware was "used often."  To me that is a core issue.  If you collect, love it and enjoy it to the fullest while you are on this earth.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Didn't you have a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a thrift that you could have donated them to rather than throw out?  Some places will even pick up.

@tends2dogs Goodwill and The Salvation Army are very particular about what they'll take. 

Salvation Army, yes. Goodwill, at least in our area...takes everything and anything, but mattesses. No one takes mattresses, understandably...to the dump they go.