it is

buynothingproject dot org

I belong to a group here and it is busy

stuff goes in a day

Trusted Contributor

Re: Selling Doll Collection…

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@amyb  I recently had to move, I had so many treasured collectibles, some were mine, others were my deceased mothers'. I was told there wasn't a market for any of it, young people are just not interested. As much as it pained me I had to let it all go ( throwing it out). You could try Facebook  Market Place, I tried it, it wasn't for me. An example, my mother had a dining room table and chairs that were in good condition, I asked $100 for it. Someone told me that was too much, so I lowered it to $75. Someone wanted just the table, I said it is a set you take the chairs (what would I then do with the chairs). Someone wanted me to ship the set to them, that was a no and I took it off Facebook and threw it out. Good luck in finding a home for your dolls. 

@Jordan2 My parents had a house full of Ethan Allen furniture.  The low ball bids and the unreasonable requests for us to eat the shipping cost to them was infuriating.  We kids ended up keeping all of it even though we really didn't have space for it but we were not going to be taken advantage of, so we made space for it.  Still angers me whenever I think about it.  I would rather see it burn in a bonfire than be taken advantage of.  

Respected Contributor

My ex-SIL collected dolls. They had the means to buy expensive ones and she had a room dedicated solely to them. She had a few grand-daughters who really enjoyed them when they would visit. I often wonder what became of them when she passed. They weren't for little girls to play with, only to admire from a distance. I hope her daughters found a good home for them and I hope you do, as well. I know it's late to mention but if you have a giving agency in town that keeps money from donated items locally, that's what I would suggest. We have many in my little town, Goodwill is not one that keeps money locally.

Trusted Contributor

@amyb 

Most dolls have a very bad resell history.  If it's too much trouble to sell them, contact your local police department and see about donating them.  

A lot of police cars carry some type of toy, dolls, teddy bears in the back of their trunk when they respond to calls where a child is involved.  Helps give them comfort.

I did this with a huge teddy bear collection I had.  The local police station was thrilled and said it would go to good use. 

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

My ex-SIL collected dolls. They had the means to buy expensive ones and she had a room dedicated solely to them. She had a few grand-daughters who really enjoyed them when they would visit. I often wonder what became of them when she passed. They weren't for little girls to play with, only to admire from a distance. I hope her daughters found a good home for them and I hope you do, as well. I know it's late to mention but if you have a giving agency in town that keeps money from donated items locally, that's what I would suggest. We have many in my little town, Goodwill is not one that keeps money locally.

Thank you for that info! I am in no rush, they are packed away in my outside storage in one box, for now...I'll try to find a good place. Great suggestions here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@amyb  I recently had to move, I had so many treasured collectibles, some were mine, others were my deceased mothers'. I was told there wasn't a market for any of it, young people are just not interested. As much as it pained me I had to let it all go ( throwing it out). You could try Facebook  Market Place, I tried it, it wasn't for me. An example, my mother had a dining room table and chairs that were in good condition, I asked $100 for it. Someone told me that was too much, so I lowered it to $75. Someone wanted just the table, I said it is a set you take the chairs (what would I then do with the chairs). Someone wanted me to ship the set to them, that was a no and I took it off Facebook and threw it out. Good luck in finding a home for your dolls. 

Didn't you have a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or a thrift that you could have donated them to rather than throw out?  Some places will even pick up.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

And I personally would load them in the car, drive to Goodwill, unload the car as fast as humanly possible, and the screech of tires you'd hear would be me leaving the parking lot.  Mission accomplished.  Done.

I have 1 collectible doll.  She is 8 inches tall.  I looked her up on eBay and there were 3 or 4 of her listed.  One had sold for 80 cents.  Yes, 80 cents.  I am going to keep her.

No way with a collection would I put much effort into it.  They brought you joy at one time.  Thank them for the joy they brought and let them go.

I also am not a big fan of dropping off large collections of anything at nursing homes, fire or police stations.  I just don't think they're looking for bins and bins of dolls and stuffed animals.  But that is just my opinion.

OMG, @gidgetgh , I almost spit out my coffee reading your post!  Hilarious!  Loved it and so true. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

why not donate them to a childrens hospital? St Judes or the like? You could still use them as a donation tax write off most likely and make a sick  child so happy!

Esteemed Contributor

Someone mentioned having to get rid of silverware that their kids didn't want.  My parents had a great collection of silver in a beautiful grape pattern.  They had a lot of fun over the years searching for pieces to make up a set.  They were used often.  When they passed, we took several pieces and had bracelets make from them.....one for each of the female relatives.  They are a great keepsake and remembrance of happy, family get togethers.  

Just a thought...

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

And I personally would load them in the car, drive to Goodwill, unload the car as fast as humanly possible, and the screech of tires you'd hear would be me leaving the parking lot.  Mission accomplished.  Done.

I have 1 collectible doll.  She is 8 inches tall.  I looked her up on eBay and there were 3 or 4 of her listed.  One had sold for 80 cents.  Yes, 80 cents.  I am going to keep her.

No way with a collection would I put much effort into it.  They brought you joy at one time.  Thank them for the joy they brought and let them go.

I also am not a big fan of dropping off large collections of anything at nursing homes, fire or police stations.  I just don't think they're looking for bins and bins of dolls and stuffed animals.  But that is just my opinion.

OMG, @gidgetgh , I almost spit out my coffee reading your post!  Hilarious!  Loved it and so true. Woman LOL

Reminds me of when I was emptying my mom's home...after what had been a long haul, and sentimental journey, and lots of decisions, throwing out, passing on, donating, giving to friends in need who wanted some things, and don't even get me started on the "paper shedding week" (dad had boxes in the garage, I found, among many things tax returns from the 60's). Anyhoo...on a particularly tough day, a great friend of mine came over, brought snacks, wine, support and help. I had a pile in the den, and was over-thinking a few things. At one point, albeit with great sensitivity and love, she encouraged me to pack up a lot of bags, quickly, of things I really knew I didn't want, and she said...do you know where Goodwill is? I said yes, she said "well let's go NOW!"...which is what we did. Lots got dropped off right then...as you say, DONE! And a lot else got "moved forward" in the process that day too. ❤️