Respected Contributor

Re: Self Driving Cars. No, just no.

I believe self driving vehicles will be the norm in my lifetime. I'm all for progress, especially if it results in safer travel, with less environmental impact.

In order to get there, we have to start somewhere. There will be mistakes, there will be injury, there will be some loss of life. This has been true of all technological progress- space flight, airplanes, automobiles.

Honored Contributor

I don't like the idea. By the time they work out all the kinks,  I'll probably be stopping for green lights and going on red lights.  The kids will be taking my keys away at that point!

Respected Contributor

No matter how far technology advances for self-driving cars, the insurance industry needs to figure out where it stands in case of an accident.  Was it the driver's fault, the other driver's fault, or the car or cars they were in at the time?  Or maybe it was the manufacturer's fault for a defect in the car.

"Officer, I had nothing to do with it!  The car made it happen",  LOL!!

Lawyers might make a good living arguing over this.

Honored Contributor

Would I get in a self-driving car today, even with a driver sitting there?  Probably not.  But once the technology improves and kinks are worked out, why not?  Some subway and light rail trains are automated now (also with an operator sitting there if needed) and to be honest, I feel a lot safer in those, than in a subway car that has a train operator who could be texting.

I think I'm more concerned about being on the road today with lots of drivers on so many medications. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds good, but look at all of the trains that have crashed.

There always has to be someone human to 'oversee' technology-based automatic machinery, including autos.

Too many wires and gadgets that could jiggle out of place.

Well, Just my opinion right now, of course.

Wishing all safety, no matter what.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What IS the "norm" for anything in the world today?  Normal, more and more, is becoming nothing more than a setting on a washer/dryer.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

No matter what, common sense wins out in the long run.

Be alert, be safe.  Never let a gadget do all of the thinking for you.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

As others have said, the technology still needs to advance & they need to work out some of the kinks they have experienced, but I think it will be valuable one day on down the road.  

I do think this technology will facilitate many older individuals that are still mobile & able to live independently to stay in their homes longer and be able to run errands, & stay active in social groups longer with that type of technology available to them.  It also has the potential to really decrease motor vehicle accidents due to excessive speeding & reckless driving.  At least criminals would have a hard time taking off and participating in a high speed police chase!  

I think about this with my children.  Hopefully they live a good long life & when they are much older maybe they can just get in their car, speak a command, & off to the drug store the car will go!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

No matter how far technology advances for self-driving cars, the insurance industry needs to figure out where it stands in case of an accident.  Was it the driver's fault, the other driver's fault, or the car or cars they were in at the time?  Or maybe it was the manufacturer's fault for a defect in the car.

"Officer, I had nothing to do with it!  The car made it happen",  LOL!!

Lawyers might make a good living arguing over this.

@novamc1

great question!

What I'm missing here is WHY do car manufacturers think we would want this?   Anyone?  I think it's a stupd idea.

I saw a story on the news recently about a woman who was driving a driverless car, and struck & killed a woman crossing the street.  She was charged with vehicular manslaughter, because if she was paying attention to the road (nistead of watching a movie), she could have braked and avoided hitting that woman!

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

If there is so much distracted driving now with texting and phone calls, having to count on anyone being alert and in control in case they need to take over is just not going to happen!!

This is what I think also....people in these self driving cars will become more complacent...trusting in the cars ability to handle it all.  Their skills as drivers will go down as you wouldn't be practicing driving much anymore.  Reaction time would also suffer and go down.  The temptation to do other things while the car drives....sleeping....texting...watching the news.  

I get how mass transit works and is by and large successful everyday....I don't see this truly ever happening.  Cars and trucks everywhere on auto pilot.  I am in my 50's so only time will tell but I just don't think so.