Respected Contributor

Re: Self Driving Cars. No, just no.

Not for me. The thought of it scares me.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Anyone here sometimes think that, in the distant future, people will eventually evolve into non-thinking humans?

We shouldn't depend, in the long run, on wires and chips to run our lives, make our day-to-day decisions.  Just thinking and wondering.........Will we be taking a step or two backward, thinking-wise, evolution-wise?

I like to make my own decisions, especially when driving. 

Also: Who knows if cars could possibly be car-jacked. Intercepted by car-hackers. If the cars are mostly electronic...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

'All in all', in the very long run, I have a feeling that the human race will be better off thinking for ourselves/themselves. 

Overall: Keep those brains in use.  Don't let anything else overtake the ability to think and be the master of our own minds.  Very important, imo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ROMARY wrote:

'All in all', in the very long run, I have a feeling that the human race will be better off thinking for ourselves/themselves. 

Overall: Keep those brains in use.  Don't let anything else overtake the ability to think and be the master of our own minds.  Very important, imo.

@ROMARY  For some reason the song "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans just started playing in my head.  LOL

You are probably too young to remember this one. LOL

And I sooooooooo agree-think for ourselves.  Be an independent and not a dependent.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s coming.

2025....self-driving/electric

Things happen so quickly, the combustible engine

will be a thing of the past very soon. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the replies, but my brother and I were just having this conversation this morning. He thinks they will eventually be like flying. Very safe and heavily used. 

I think that might happen in time, but in the meantime, there will be a lot of issues as the technology progresses. 

The thing that concerns me most, is are we going to have entire generations in the future that have no idea how to do something (drive a car, handle road conditions,navigate highways manually), like is happening now. People are loosing their skills because technology does it all. At some point when the technology fails, will people have any idea how to function without it? 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s coming.

2025....self-driving/electric

Things happen so quickly, the combustible engine

will be a thing of the past very soon. 

@sidsmom  I don't think so.  At least across the whole country.  I know CA is demanding x amount of electric cars to be on the road by 2025 and I believe all combustible engine cars are to be banned by 2050 (I may have my figures a tad off).

But speaking in general-not all electric cars are..........all electric.

Then you have the issue of electric rates rising - which means that all users will pay higher rates regardless if they have an electric car or not.

This morphs into those who can least afford an electric car and/or the higher electric rates.

It boils down to those who can afford them can buy them and pay subsequent higher electric rates.

Nor are people considering the companies manufacturing electric/hybrids/etc.-those cars are not going away anytime soon.  And why should they.  The same applies to those who have full combustible engines.  Those cars are still being made and sold.

It's going to take a long time for everyone to have these cars; and the poorest who cannot afford them will also not benefit from any tax break, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I faintly recalled the song 2525, so I went over to YouTube, and now remember it quite well.

Funny, but I've lately been thinking about dinosaurs, and how they could be roaming around on some other planet somewhere in the Universe and beyond.

Actually, it's a possibility that in the distant future, humans will have brought them back, danger and all.

It's somewhat frightening to even think about 2525 and beyond..........

One thing I know for sure, most human minds will evolve into not being used at all. (Well, maybe very few brilliant people will be in control. They will be called 'The Controllers'.  Hey, maybe I should write a book/make a movie, lol.)  And who knows who or 'what' (electronic device, etc.) will control folks' lives.

Well, enough about nothing right now.

Maybe in my next life, I'll be around to see what the future turned out to be.

Honored Contributor

p.s.  For several years now, I've been thinking/saying that the children of today who aren't distracted and are being encouraged to actually think are the ones who will eventually rule the world.

The brilliant minds making all of the moves.  The leaders leading the followers. 

Well,  just something I've been thinking about...........(At least I'm able to think, so far that is.)

Respected Contributor

no thanks, I like being in control... lol