Trusted Contributor

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

Think how much cheaper medications would be if the drug companies put all the millions for advertising towards off-setting the price to the consumer.

Esteemed Contributor

Every medicatin has side effects...even Tylenol and Motrin....

I would rather try changing my diet  than take a pill....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I a senior and on fixed income. I have a respiratory condition and been going without an inhaler because I can't afford it. It's been very tough.

I saw on tv that there is a new generic inhaler. I looked it up online, compared it to the name brands, and price checked it on GoodRX. It had the exact same ingredients as the name brand my doctor wanted me to use but it is 33% of the price. I called my doctor and he prescribed it. It works very well and I can afford it.

Honored Contributor

Don't you think on the commercials, that have small print on the bottom, should be the last page, that we can read before the commercial is done?!!  

Sometimes it puts the lie to what's just been said.  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

All I see with all the drug ads on tv are folks who see them and now they think they have that disease or this disease. Personally I think it's disgusting the FCC allows big pharms everywhere create ads for their drugs and are actually permitted to pay for air time to do such ads.

How, when, where and why did it become okay to have ads for drugs on nationwide television? This is not okay.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I bet doctors wished that these pharma companies would not be allowed to advertise: Can you imagine how often they have to hear their patients requests for something they saw on TV?

I also think that attorneys should be similarly banned from advertising.

I am with you.  I find the attorneys WAY more offensive than the Pharma ads.  I just actually tune the commercials out as I am never Just watching TV, I am either reading, crafting, or playing a game on my phone while watching.  

Respected Contributor

Lawsuits on undisclosed side effects have forced drug companies to put all the possible dire consequences in their ads. Same for the ridiculous cautions on cleaners, automotive products, etc. I wasn't told drinking battery acid could harm me, so I'm suing for $500M...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp 

Like you I have a great deal of empathy for folks battling serious health issues....And you are right, some people are desperately seeking any kind of help or relief and are willing to take a chance on a medication with serious side effects!  But what bothers me about all these pharmaceutical ads is the person's health professional keeps up and is well aware of all available treatments. And if a particular drug is not being offered, perhaps the health professional has a good reason not to----perhaps due to the patient's secondary medical condition, or they feel the side effects out weigh any minor positives the patient might get from the drug.... 

While I realize each person must keep up and stay informed on their health issues and treatments, I think its up to a professional to recommend the appropriate options and solutions based on that individual patient's health history instead of Madison Avenue and a pharmaceutical company that wants to make a sale. These pharmaceutical companies  count on a patient insisting on getting that drug prescribed just because of an ad with smiling happy people and perhaps not realistic results..... JMHO.  LET THE MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL DO THEIR JOB AND RECOMMEND THE APPROPRIATE INDIVIDUAL TREATMENT FOR THEIR PATIENT!

Another point is while the commercials tell about the side effects some patients just think "that won't happen to me"  until it does... then they blame the doctor or the company even though they were warned!

There has to be a reason why the U.S. and New Zealand are the ONLY TWO countries in the ENTIRE WORLD that allow this type of advertisement....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD I agree.  Seems they banned the selling of cigarettes and hard liquor but allow drug ads. 

By the same token, lawyer advertisements were once considered a no no & now they are all over the channels. 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

@lovesrecess 

Yep, the side effects are worse than their current medical condition in a lot of cases---drugs that cause heart attacks, cancer etc etc are not worth the risk..... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”