Respected Contributor

Re: Seeing Medication Ads in a New Light

@lovesrecess wrote:
We would all probably stop taking all meds if we looked at the “ possible” side effects. Everything listed is due to the advice of their attorneys, but some that include “you may stop breathing or go blind” would make me steer clear of those!

In some ways, the ads are hilarious. Now that they are obliged to list the side effects, who would ever want to take this stuff?????

Respected Contributor

They list the side effects because legally they HAVE to. Otherwise it's pay your money and take your chances. And half the time the list is so long that they speed up the recording so much that you can't understand what they're saying.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

They list the side effects because legally they HAVE to. Otherwise it's pay your money and take your chances. And half the time the list is so long that they speed up the recording so much that you can't understand what they're saying.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

C'mon .....   You can't get all the information you'd want from a 30 second commercial.  The commercials only give a few points for benefits and side effects.   The point is to start a conversation with one's physician.  

If some side effects occur only rarely, the lawyers may still choose to include it in the commercial and/or the enclosure materials we're supposed to read.   

Honored Contributor

I think a couple posters are forgetting most of us have sensitivities and allergies to deal with. 

Example --- My sister gets blinding headaches from any drink with aspertame in it ... doesn't bother me at all.

If my sister drinks something and gets a blinding headache, is  it the fault of the beverage company?

People are allergic to a wide variety of things .... peanuts, eggs, shellfish, sunflower seeds ......  is it the food manufacturers' fault when abnormal reactions happen?  If so, why?  

I am joking when I ask this ....In the case of an egg allergy, do you sue the chicken ... or the farmer?  Hey, sometimes allergic reactions just happen.  It is what it is.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Dont kid yourself there's patients out there that will INSIST on trying a medication they see advertised, isnt that what the Pharmacuetical Companies want and the whole purpose of spending all that money on these Ads?? 

@Spurt 

Well, just because a patient "insists" doesn't mean anything.   Doctors can say no, and most have no trouble doing so.  

Don't forget that no medication can be approved and subsequently advertised until a stringent review has been completed by the FDA.   

Frankly, I am surprised at the number of people who think information on newly-developed medications should be deliberately kept away from consumers.   Wow.

I wouldn't want to lose a family member because we didn't realize there was something out there that could help them!  I guess others think that's okay, but I'm not one of them.