Esteemed Contributor

Re: Second wave this fall and winter " invitable"

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Dr. Fauci has said a lot of things, then changes his mind.  Will worry about Fall later.

@CrazyDaisya.k.a. Scarlett O'hara. :-)

If we had only been more serious this first go-around, thing might have been different. Just one week's early shut-down could have save thousands and thousands of lives.

As for Dr. Fauci, he is not perfect. Gee, that's a shock. But I'll take him anytime over some others. I believe that he has no motive or agenda other than saving us.

Not sure why you continue to target all of my posts to chastise me, but I guess some have more time on there hands than others.

You have your opinion and I have mine.  Enjoy your day.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know why.......just a feeling, I guess, but I am beginning to lose confidence in Dr. Fauci.  That the virus may come back in the fall sounds logical, but some things he says just make me wonder which side he is on........again, an uncomfortable feeling.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I don't know why.......just a feeling, I guess, but I am beginning to lose confidence in Dr. Fauci.  That the virus may come back in the fall sounds logical, but some things he says just make me wonder which side he is on........again, an uncomfortable feeling.

Don't doctors take a Hippocratic oath to uphold ethical standards?  Wouldn't this preclude them from taking a "side"?

Honored Contributor

@AvalonRose wrote:

....and another uplifting thread to begin the day.

So scroll on by, there is no doubt in the title what the subject matter is. Many people are eager to discuss and share. If you aren't just move on, don't stir the pot.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

Don't doctors take a Hippocratic oath to uphold ethical standards?  Wouldn't this preclude them from taking a "side"?

@deepwaterdotter  I understand, but when they spend a lot of their lives around politcians, I'm just not sure anymore.  There are a lot of Drs out there who kinda throw that oath away. Just sayin', just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Ever hear the phrase "Why borrow trouble?"  There may very well be a second wave but no one knows for sure if there will be.  I can see being aware/prepared but why dwell on it/worry about it?

Covid19 is plenty rampant in Africa, South America and other "hot" areas besides the hot states mentioned here.  

Why do you automatically turn it into 'borrowing trouble'?

I think there are many valuable things people have to share on this subject, some of it factual (or as factual as they (health and government officials) can be when they really know so little about this virus and how it works at this point), so of it just exchange of ideas.

I really get tired of those that aren't moderators to the forums thinking they need to dictate what subjects get discussed here. 

Again, if the topic doesn't suit you, scroll on by. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3   I think Dr Fauci and the other scientists are being very careful what they say. They are doing research plus having to be on Television and give reports.  That takes away from their time working on a cure. 
  They want to find a solution to this pandemic just as we want them to. They are learning about the virus daily, much is uncertain. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think July and August are likely going to be our moments to get out some and prepare for the fall. In the states that have not reopened prematurely, those months may be safer than for the ones that have.

A second wave may be more disruptive than this first one has been because typically there are more deaths in a second pandemic wave (see the Spanish Flu and others), and in our country, most locales will refuse to shut down again.

And heat doesn't make anything dormant. We live in modern times. We live in climate controlled environments in winter and summer and much of the rest of the time too. Any time we gather all bunched together in climate controlled environments, the virus has ideal conditions. So that can occur any time of the year for us.

Our best bet, beyond vaccines and innoculations is if COVID-19 weakens and becomes less deadly over time. There is no guarantee or reason to think that will happen, and the opposite could also occur as long as the virus has enough living hosts to propagate itself.

I highlighted a portion above that has me thinking. 

"They" have said that heat and humidity and sunshine cause this virus to expire quicker (it doesn't live long on surfaces), but like many have pointed out, why are the extreme southern states still seeing it (and in reality, I haven't looked at their numbers to know how they stack up against the northern most states). If the sun and heat and humidity do reduce the spread of this, because it doesn't survive long in those conditions, I wonder if those of us who live (we don't have air in our home) and work without air conditioning in concentrated areas (like an Amish community that doesn't have air conditioning and homes open all day, or like where my husband works at a UPS hub and there is no air except one office, but the rest of the facility is open and hot) will see less infections than places like big office buildings with air conditioning on all day, people driving home in air conditioned cars, and living in air conditioned houses. 

Of course it will depend on how much exposure to to others you have as well, but I'm wondering if living in a pretty much constantly hot and humid environment, where you don't work or live with air, and don't go many places that do, will keep the virus down low enough to heavily reduce exposure and positive cases.