Esteemed Contributor

Re: Second wave this fall and winter " invitable"

The first wave hasn’t even left yet.  Sounds like a year round thing at this point.

Take what Fauci says with a grain of salt.  He’s probably correct but he has a bad track record on some things.  This is all so new.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Local TV news said progress is being made on a vaccine. Maybe that's wishful thinking on behalf of pharmaceutical labs. I agree that there will be a second wave, but I'm not convinced it will be as bad. With typical colds and flu, don't those who previously had it have some margin of immunity? That's what I heard but it might not pertain to this virulent virus.

@AuntG, at the moment it is being presumed that those who have recovered do have some degree of immunity but it is too soon to know how long any immunity will last.  It could be days, weeks, months or years.  It will take time to determine if there will be long term immunity.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking positively about it. Every day scientists are getting one step closer to finding current drugs that will help, developing new drugs, and working on vaccines.  So far, trials with treating patients with "survivor plasma" are showing signs of promise.

I'm trying to just take it one day at a time, and praying daily.  If only people would stop proving they're immune or that the virus is nothing but a cold, and take recommended precautions seriously, that would help a lot.

Honored Contributor

@AvalonRose wrote:

....and another uplifting thread to begin the day.

Amen, sister, people seem to get off on this sort of 'news'.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

The first wave hasn’t even left yet.  Sounds like a year round thing at this point.

Take what Fauci says with a grain of salt.  He’s probably correct but he has a bad track record on some things.  This is all so new.

I don't think he's all that and a bag of chips.  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Snoopp wrote:

I don't think he's all that and a bag of chips.  

Well someone should be taking charge. Glad my Governor is paying attention and updating and at least has a plan and doesn't spout off every time he speaks. NY gov.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And I think this is why people keep buying toilet paper. Seriously. 

In my area, at first, there were major shortages of milk, eggs, potatoes and onions, bread, toilet paper, paper towels and wipes. So the panic began. 

Also in my area, you can now readily find eggs, bread, milk, potatoes and onions.  

But.....you still can't find toilet paper, paper towels (sometimes you will run into a very small supply of those) and wipes. 

In the back of my mind is the thought that this fall and winter MIGHT be brutal with another wave of this AND the flu. And so, I also keep in mind, what have I done really well during this pandemic, supply wise, and what would I need to improve on for a tough fall and winter.  And toilet paper, and the constant shortage of it comes to mind.

We have plenty and have told our 2 neighbors, my stepson and have posted on a local Facebook page that we have some to share. Do we have a hoard?  No.  But We are really well stocked and while I am not looking for toilet paper to buy right now, I plan to keep a "more than usual" supply. 

And if this virus doesn't come back and we have a mild flu season?  Well first of all, wouldn't that be wonderful?  And I'll still be glad to share and the tp won't go bad. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Dr. Fauci has said a lot of things, then changes his mind.  Will worry about Fall later.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Regarding heat and humidity slowing the virus, if you look at the global map you'll notice the vast majority of cases are in the northern hemisphere. There's some in the southern hemisphere, but not nearly as many. What's the difference? I was going to argue that the southern hemisphere was in summer/fall mode while the northern hemisphere was in winter/spring mode.

A bit more poking around shows it could be population density causing the fluctuation and not temp and humidity. I just looked it up and was surprised to find that something like 90% of the population lives in the northern hemisphere. I'd assumed it would be more 50/50. That pretty much accounts for the difference in reported cases. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

"Invitable"? Let's find whoever's inviting the scourge and get them to stop.

Testing is meaningless for a host of reasons, immunity is unproven and there are recurrences, herd immunity is not proven, and vaccines may not be adequate, all that effective, and many may decide against them.I don't want this virus in my body, so no vaccine for me. 

TREATMENT is what they need to find. They need meds and protocols to deal with the virus at every stage of infection, in people who have the lightest to the heaviest viral loads.

And we need a good supply of masks for the general public that are easily fitted and block the virus. It would be wise to develop masks that men with facial hair can wear, since the N95 won't work if you have facial hair because you can't get a good seal.