Honored Contributor

Re: School age kids on vacation during school time

I think it sets an example that school ( and later, a job) are not a priority. IMO - that is a bad example to set.

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 sunshine45 said:

i was never taken out of school nor did i take my kids out of school for anything other than sickness or a doctors/dentist appointment. it doesnt matter to me what other parents are doing, but i have seen kids taken out for vacations, birthdays, and other special occasions.

i know that school systems and private schools all operate on different schedules, even within a state, so i would assume that some are not even in school yet. i do know though that the first week there is generally not a lot going on.

When we were kids , if we had all A report card we were allowed to take our birthday off from school as a special treat - also if we had all A we were allowed to take off the day of the Pirates baseball home opener as a special treat. My Dad got 5 weeks vacation so he would take a vacation day those days to stay home with me. None of my brothers ever got all A report cards. All the way through my working career I always requested paid time off for my birthday. I just could not imagine working on my birthday.

Honored Contributor

I know nothing about the quality of your schools.

As a retired high school math teacher, I can tell you we began assessing and teaching our students day #1 of the term. We also tested the last day before holidays as well as the last day of the term.

Our district operated under Block Scheduling. (90 minute classes) Every day missed was equivalent to two days under a traditional system. Our BOE implemented a strict attendance policy. Our students did not miss school because they were on vacation.

Super Contributor

My parents took me out of school for trips when I was in elementary school in the 60's. Thought nothing of it and the teachers said the experiences I was having were more than worth it. I actually think they were more casual about school attendance back then. Now that there are all these standardized tests for kids to get through, a week or two off or a month could mean a lot.

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 happy housewife said:

I think it sets an example that school ( and later, a job) are not a priority. IMO - that is a bad example to set.

On this we agree.Smile

Respected Contributor

On 9/2/2014 KathyPet said: DH and I are on vacation in Myrtle BeAch this week. I expected to see a lot of pre-school kids here at the resort but I am really surprised at the large number of school age kids here. I was chatting with one woman in the pool yesterday and she had two kids about 7 or 10 with her. I asked her if school had started and she said yes but they had taken them out for the week. When I was in school in the 50's and early 60's school time was sacred. my parent's would never have dreamed of my losing a week of school to go on vacation. Guess it's all different now.

""Busy body or Samaritan""?

Honored Contributor

I know this is usually turns into a hot topic for discussion.

I don't have children but when I was growing up, my parents used to pull us out of school early on some Fridays during the Fall to attend Notre Dame football games because we had season tickets.

My parents would never ever pull us out of school for a week or more to vacation. Their thought was that we had off for x-mas break, spring break and the summer. That's when vacations should be taken.

I cannot imagine pulling my kids out of school for a vacation, especially when the year is just beginning.

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 9/2/2014 sunshine45 said:

i was never taken out of school nor did i take my kids out of school for anything other than sickness or a doctors/dentist appointment. it doesnt matter to me what other parents are doing, but i have seen kids taken out for vacations, birthdays, and other special occasions.

i know that school systems and private schools all operate on different schedules, even within a state, so i would assume that some are not even in school yet. i do know though that the first week there is generally not a lot going on.

I disagree. The first week.is very important. ...all weeks are important. With all of the testing and standards that have to be met, there is no "downtime" on the agenda. It's important from day one. Additionally, for the younger grades you are setting the agenda and classroom.standards for the year. For the older grades, assignments are being handed out and syllabi for the year are being discussed. When your child is absent then you are expecting the teacher to bring them up to speed when they return, at the expense of the other 30 odd students in the class who were present.

hi MK....i am going by what has happened on numerous first weeks of school here, including this year. papers to sign, supplies to bring in for the student and for the teacher (for extra credit), books and workbooks to order, some review work, and no homework at all.

again, i am not in favor of keeping my kids out of school for vacation, but if another family chooses to do it it doesnt bother me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I went to school in the 1960s and was taken out a couple of times for vacation. I was an A student and my teacher was happy I could go--so she helped with letting my mom how to keep me caught up. It's life that we cope with change and with schedules that aren't perfect. If the kid is smart and a good student, why not--if infrequently.

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the child, the parents willingness to take along and supervise the work, and just how often it occurs.

I think it is much less detrimental when kids are in grade school, but especially by high school, there is just too much work to miss on any kind of long term or regular basis.