Super Contributor

Re: School age kids on vacation during school time

Wait until you hear this one...I went to high school in a small South Carolina town - very close to the SC/GA line....in April, when the Masters tournament is played, as I recall school lets out early on the Friday before the final weekend of the Masters... many kids were pulled out of school for a day to attend the tournament! Another interesting thing is that folks in town would move into hotel or motels for that week because they could make lots of $$$ by renting out their homes to people attending the Masters.....

Super Contributor

When I was in high school we didn't have to take final exams one year (1979, 1980ish) because the teachers went on strike. Students showed up and found the classrooms locked so we milled around town and all the teachers waved to us from their picket line down the block at the district offices. We never had to make the exams up.

Super Contributor

On 9/5/2014 ckr1147 said:

Wait until you hear this one...I went to high school in a small South Carolina town - very close to the SC/GA line....in April, when the Masters tournament is played, as I recall school lets out early on the Friday before the final weekend of the Masters... many kids were pulled out of school for a day to attend the tournament! Another interesting thing is that folks in town would move into hotel or motels for that week because they could make lots of $$$ by renting out their homes to people attending the Masters.....

As I posted earlier they do this for hunting every fall. They even set up a table with the absence request forms at the school building entrance so they don't have to go ask at the office.