Esteemed Contributor

Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

It was Southwest Airlines flight 1380 from LGA to DAL. There was some sort of explosive failure on the number 1 engine. From the accounts that I've seen/read, the flight deck crew did an exemplary job of getting the aircraft safely on the ground at PHL. The cabin crew and passengers with medical training came to the assistance of a woman who was severly injured, but sadly, she has passed away.

This is the first fatal accident in Southwest's history. 

I'm not posting links because it's really easy too find, and they almost all have some sort of sidebar advertising. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Yes, it landed in Philadelphia.  It's been all over the news today.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

DH just called his daughter, she flies a lot for work and usually flies into Dallas or San Antonio always on Southwest...thank goodness she was not flying today.

Horrible story, hard to believe more lives were not lost.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

You just never know, everything is a risk.

Sure is a terrible thing to happen.

I was on Southwest flight exactly one year ago.

Thinking about these passengers.

Respected Contributor

This could happen on any airline on any given day.

If you only knew how minimal attention is paid to regular maintenance and safety checks.

The bottom line is what counts...keeping the planes full of passengers and in the air as quickly as possible.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Re: Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

If you only knew how minimal attention is paid to regular maintenance and safety checks.

The bottom line is what counts...keeping the planes full of passengers and in the air as quickly as possible.

This was the first fatal accident in Southwest's 50+ years of flying. I've never flown on them, but I think they're a well run, competent organization. They keep their costs low in part by only flying one type of aircraft. Eliminates the need to cross train on multiple aircraft.

If you want to see something truly frightening, watch the piece that 60 Minutes aired this past Sunday on Allegiant Airlines. And this story wasn't the first time they've been investigated for safety concerns! It is beyond comprehension how they still have a valid operating certificate. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Fatality....basically s.ucked out of the window.

Makes sense at that altitude.  Holy cow. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

Feel free to elaborate --- I'm all ears.

Respected Contributor

I just read on heavy.com that the pilot of this flight was Tammie Jo Shults, who in her previous career was the first woman to fly the F/A 18 fighter for the Navy. She wasn't allowed to fly in combat, so she was an instructor. Again, I can't post a link because of the advertising, but it's a great article.