Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2Any airline any day, for sure.   I didn't know that every plane like the one that exploded flown by every airline is the same plane.

I suspect the only good news is that overall flying is safer than any other mode of getting from here to there.  Just sounds horrid though.

Honored Contributor

Wow! ....Shocking and so scary!  This is the first that I heard of this since I haven't watched the news today.   Very disturbing since I just flew home on Southwest (to Philadelphia from Ft. Lauderdale) Friday night.

I'm so sad for that woman and her family.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Marienkaefer2Any airline any day, for sure.   I didn't know that every plane like the one that exploded flown by every airline is the same plane.

I suspect the only good news is that overall flying is safer than any other mode of getting from here to there.  Just sounds horrid though.

It's not. There are hundreds of different aircraft being flown by various airlines. Southwest, however; flies only the Boeing 737 aircraft. It's a workhorse of the airline industry. All 737's do use the same engine, so if the NTSB investigation reveals something systemically wrong with the engine, that would be concerning. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Poor woman, just going on a trip and being involved in such a horrible incident.  Another example of why we should treasure every day because no one is promised a tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

I get my news from Philly and it has been covered all afternoon.  What a terrible situation for all involved, and especially for the woman who did not survive and her family.  I rarely fly Southwest, but the airline has an excellent reputation.  The pictures were scary to look at, and I hope that they find out what caused this.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Sadly the woman sucked into the window passed away. 

After all the attention on Allegiant this week - this was on Southwest.

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1

I didn't see the 60 minutes on Allegiant but I can tell you as a frequent flier I truly look for the cheapest flights.  

I booked a super cheap flight for $37 on Allegiant .... I never went on that trip due to a family matter.  My "guardian angel" was watching over me for that flight my friends went and had a mechanical issue and made "emergency" landing!  

Allegiant is horrible in all areas but Southwest is a whole different airline on every level!!!!

So sad about the tragedy today but that won't stop me from flying.  

ones life could end in a minute so live each day as your last ~ that's my life motto lately.

Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

This could happen on any airline on any given day.

If you only knew how minimal attention is paid to regular maintenance and safety checks.

The bottom line is what counts...keeping the planes full of passengers and in the air as quickly as possible.

@Marienkaefer2. Southwest says a safety check was done on this plane on Sunday.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

This could happen on any airline on any given day.

If you only knew how minimal attention is paid to regular maintenance and safety checks.

The bottom line is what counts...keeping the planes full of passengers and in the air as quickly as possible.

@Marienkaefer2. Southwest says a safety check was done on this plane on Sunday.

Yes, and I have several family members who work in the airline industry (in various capacities).  Regular maintenance is taken VERY seriously, and safety is not sacrificed in favor of "the bottom line".  

If you think about how many flights there are each day without any even minor incidents at all, it should be obvious that the airlines do pay very close attention to maintenance and safety.  Engine failure, crashes and situations like what happened today are extremely, extremely rare.

Honored Contributor

Re: Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

After hearing there was a very recent safety check, the question that follows is how careful and knowledgeable was the inspector and did s/he gave the job full attention or was it cursorily done.

Most likely the check was done by an employee of the airlines and not an FAA aviation safety inspector.  

Now that airlines self-report problems and incidents instead of having FAA aviation safety inspectors reviewing matters, I don't believe that there is the same level of scrutiny and demand for full compliance.  I just don't.

When I heard that today's casualty was the first one in the U.S. in nine years, I remembered the Colgan Air flight 3407 that went down in that snowstorm outside Buffalo in 2009.  My office, sadly, certificated that air carrier.  It was a terrible time but it brought to light that pilots required more rest time and better training.  New rules were imposed.  No longer could a flight be advertised with the name of a major carrier if that carrier subcontracted to a regional airline.  Things did change after the Colgan tragedy.

I recall that one casualty on that flight, a woman, had lost her husband on 9/11.  Heartbreaking.