Honored Contributor

Re: Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

@puttypiesmom wrote:

About the air masks....how does one get a seamless air tight fit if its supposed to go over both the nose and mouth when its shaped like a hard plastic cup.  

@puttypiesmom

Many are saying the mask is slightly moldable...which could be positioned to fit over nose & mouth.  The flight attendant demonstrates it, the front-of-your-seat-pocket card diagrams it and the bag itself has clear instructions to place over nose/mouth.

It’s unfortunate that many will see this video/photo thinking this is the correct way to wear...when it’s not. 

Respected Contributor

I wondered if that lady had her seatbelt on. Makes me wonder if having the belt on would have saved her.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

I wondered if that lady had her seatbelt on. Makes me wonder if having the belt on would have saved her.

It's not likely that the seat belt would've made any difference. The force of the pressurized atmosphere of the cabin rushing out of the window would've been far too strong. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Now that the interviews of the passengers, the videos the passengers took, the story is remarkable. My heart goes out to the woman who died. I hope she was knocked unconscious immediately and did not suffer. What an horrific death, beyond sad. The heroes who have come out of this situation. Flight crew, fellow passengers and pilot. I could only hope I would be able to step up like they did.

It's highly likely that she died within seconds. I'm not going to go into details as I'm sure many would find it very unsettling. There is a rather pointed description of what likely happened on the Southwest forum on FlyerTalk if anyone wants to go find it, but be warned, it's tough stuff. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

Heartbreaking...she was only 42, two kids....what lousy fate...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Yardlie,

I just read this on MSN:

"National Transportation Safety Board chairman Robert Sumwalt says that the woman was wearing a seatbelt and sitting next to the window."

Trusted Contributor

@golding76,

This was a very sad and super unusual accident.

Everyone  was heroic from the pilot and crew to the passengers trying to help the injured lady.

Love planes and you never know, I also think that the concusion  was hard enough to make her unconscious🌻

Honored Contributor

Re: Scary Flight Today

[ Edited ]

Chip,

You are so right with your words of praise.  Although this was an ill-fated flight, it was extraordinarily fortunate to have quite a few heroic figures on board.  

Astounding!  Would I drop my oxygen mask to administer CPR?  I hope I would be that person, but you never know until in the given situation.

Such a cool and skilled pilot.

You have probably heard that aviation adage that you have to have something like six slices of Swiss cheese with holes perfectly aligned to have the odds of having an air disaster.  This one had to have at least 12 slices with all holes one behind the other.

Honored Contributor

The Swiss cheese model is based on the idea that safety nets are like slices of Swiss cheese with randomly placed holes (representing the inherent flaws in any safety system). Accidents and incidents occur when the holes in the stack of slices line up and allow an error or a series of errors to develop into what you see in the picture below.