Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scam Target Kills Unarmed Uber Driver

@newjersey wrote:

@KingstonMom , I don't understand why he's slightly smiling after what he did.  

I don’t see a smile. I think we should wait for the facts to come out.  

Trusted Contributor

The man may have dementia or some other congitive problem associated with aging. At a certain point, the dept of motor vehicles can revoke your license to drive. Same should be with gun ownership. It's too bad his family didn't or couldn't take the gun away. Families should be the first line of defense and advocate for the health and safety of their loved ones.

I don't wish any harm to this man. I don't know anything about his case, but I trust our justice system will do the right thing.

Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

The man may have dementia or some other congitive problem associated with aging. At a certain point, the dept of motor vehicles can revoke your license to drive. Same should be with gun ownership. It's too bad his family didn't or couldn't take the gun away. Families should be the first line of defense and advocate for the health and safety of their loved ones.

I don't wish any harm to this man. I don't know anything about his case, but I trust our justice system will do the right thing.

Because he can't possibly a cold blooded murderer?   Is there a specific age where people should not be held responsible for their crimes?   

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

Because he can't possibly a cold blooded murderer?   Is there a specific age where people should not be held responsible for their crimes?   

That will probably be his lawyer's defense.  He has dementia but yet he was able to load a gun and take good aim at an unarmed woman.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Lakelife62 wrote:

I said the man "may have" dementia. I also said I trust the justice system to do the right thing, based on the facts of the case (which I don't have).

Yes, of course he could be a cold blooded murderer. Anything is possible when you don't have all the information.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure if its age or something else, but there seems to be a frightening trend. Since August, this is the third similar act of an elderly man shooting an unarmed person for approaching his property. An 84 year old man faces charges for shooting an unarmed teenager through his locked door; a 66 year old man was convicted for killing an unarmed passenger in a car that drove up his driveway, and now this 81 year old man leaving the safety of his home to murder an unarmed woman. This level of fear is competely irrational.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I'm not sure if its age or something else, but there seems to be a frightening trend. Since August, this is the third similar act of an elderly man shooting an unarmed person for approaching his property. An 84 year old man faces charges for shooting an unarmed teenager through his locked door; a 66 year old man was convicted for killing an unarmed passenger in a car that drove up his driveway, and now this 81 year old man leaving the safety of his home to murder an unarmed woman. This level of fear is competely irrational.

I bet there's a common denominator in the media they consume. 

Honored Contributor

He understood the call, remembered it, believed the woman was there to collect the money. Doesn't seem demented to me.

He appeared to enjoy terrorizing and shooting her. 

Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

I bet there's a common denominator in the media they consume. 

Yes I believe that has to play a role. Older people, most not working and many isolated, with lots of free time to consume fear inducing media. It seeps into at least the subconscious and can create paranoia.

That is no excuse for murder, just a factor in the overall picture that includes many factors.

And it also comes down to a trigger happy shoot first and ask questions later mentality. That combined with media induced fear and manipulation equals a recipe for disaster.

Older people can be cold blooded murderers, and not all older people have dementia or any other cognitive issues.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I hope that murderer is locked away and never sees the light of day. I am sickened by this crime and heartbroken for this lady and her family. Unfortunately this has happened before when an older frightened individual usually a man sees someone approaching their home and grabs a loaded gun rushes outside and takes a life of an innocent human being. 

My neighborhood is populated by mostly senior citizens.  Recently an elderly lady who suffers from dementia called her next door neighbor and said that there were squatters in her back yard. She then said that she had a loaded shotgun and would shoot them if she saw them again. Most of us were horrified that this woman had a gun in her home. We have a landscape  company on a weekly basis working in the neighborhood. She may have seen the workers in her back yard. Thank goodness her. family was informed of this and they got her out of her home and into a memory care facility before she killed an innocent person. 

You are talking about an isolated incident. We have no idea if this man has dementia.

You are assuming based on age. That is called ageism.

@manny2    I did not say that this man has dementia. I said my former neighbor has dementia.  For all I know this man could just be a cold blooded murderer.