Regular Contributor

@phoenixbrd Thank you so much!  For more general info re: various types of scams, including "jobs & making money" and "privacy, identity & online security," the "federal trade commission" website has more of that info. 

Their site also includes the "money mule" scam of which refers to someone who sends the naive person money and asks him or her to send it to someone else or tells that individual to purchase gift cards or wire money.  That may apparently even be considered money laundering.  The ftc website has an "infographic" that clarifies the scam.  (One can just go to google or yahoo and type into search "money mule scams ftc and infographic" or such.)

Thank you for starting this very important discussion Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Got one this morning from "Amazon Business" with an offer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Diamonds22 wrote:

Another red flag is the date of the deposit (12/6/21).

---------------

I did have to laugh!!  Did no one at the sending location notice the date...deposited on 12/21??   Give me a break!!  Such stupid, intrusive people.

Honored Contributor
Am so sick of these scammers! Between the emails and phone calls, they are a huge waste of my time.
Esteemed Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Diamonds22 wrote:

Another red flag is the date of the deposit (12/6/21).

---------------

I did have to laugh!!  Did no one at the sending location notice the date...deposited on 12/21??   Give me a break!!  Such stupid, intrusive people.

@corita , thatś the way itś done in England, the Caribbean and some parts of the world so the person who sent it forgot they were sending it to someone who lives in the US.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello to you, dooBdooHeart  Woman Happy

Smiley Happy with a Heart from my home to yours.

I have been away for several days, but did want to reply to some of my earlier replies, then had seen this.....

!! I had seen this topic on home page, and for what is may be of some worth: Do Not Hover over anything that remotely appears questionable!

If that important, that company, that person will reach you, via, another route. 

1st thing `at` morning I empty all that, to me, appears as SCAM, and the last thing at night, I do the same.

I have an Alert on my pc menu -the same as an icon/ w/ virus protection that I know it's 99.9% accurate.

Hope that may help.

Last night I received a ___ You are, or will be convicting God if you delete THIS face ( face was shown) if ever on Ytube.

Last week I received a faux account for Amaz. for the (guessing here) 10th time.

Then two for an electricity power survey, (they do not do these), along with you have a refund.

A week later, the same outfit of skillful culprits know one's invoice- explaining with very [A] *Prolific a notice .. that  was not received.

I catch them each time. It's very intelligent of you to assume this.... Do Not Hover over w/ mouse, (even for a nano second), then they have your complete email + phone number.

If there is a missing receipt, Professional question, if not received:: I have alerted my bank to contact me with one of their Code numbers and the address of that company with zip code. I actually do not have that many.

And,

my contacts I view & know - from memory,

from INBOX, only. 

These SCANNERS are becoming more Sophisticated by inviting, being extremely multiple with artful, shrew with professional verbiage. If in doubt- ever, call that company and ask

[ NEED]  for a recording, along with a supervisor. 

I hope to hear from you soon on a more comfortable conversation.  Just been busy finishing up with some small decluttering and extensions to my art projects.

Oh, our son was here over the weekend. 

The entire family engaged having a relaxing, fun time and nice evening out at a beautiful restaurant and meal. I am surely blessed.  Whoa, Haa, will never figure that one out. 

No masks, no concern, HUGS galore.  

@dooBdoo                                lovingly, NAES

June 14th

2021- Monday

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

dooBdooo Thanks for this information...you are probably correct.  It was years ago that I read the article on hovering over an address on a scam mail.  I remembered reading that it was rare but possible for it to generate malware, so just as a precaution since then I just delete and don't do the hovering on scam mail addresses.  Thanks for this update.

@dooBdoo wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@JustBlingg   Good question...we are receiving a lot of scam mail.  I stopped the hovering over the name.  I used to do that before deleating, but one of the articles I read said that now even hoovering can generate a virus.  Don't know if this is true, but I'd rather be safe.

@phoenixbrd, In 2017 there was a rare use of the "mouse hover" as a means to invade.  I wonder if this was what you read about?

My understanding is that it was an extremely rare type of malware which first required a PowerPoint download from a spam email message and then when the user hovered the mouse over areas in the downloaded PowerPoint file it triggering the tableware.  

Even though it appears not to be a current threat, and it took specific steps with a specific type of file to allow it to happen, it's good for us to know about it and keep an eye out for changes and warnings.😊