Esteemed Contributor
The newest scam we apparently have around here is from our “secretary of state” about issues with our license. The first text I received was actually pretty legit looking. The 2nd was embarrassingly bad - sent to multiple people with a similar phone number as mine (last four digits 1111, 1112, 1113, etc) Then those people started to respond! LOL - ended up having to block everyone so they would stop!

Then, on my work cell phone with a phone number I never use let alone remember, I received a text about how I’m eligible for Covid related aid.

At least the IRS has stopped calling me.
Honored Contributor

@millieshops   Good tip!

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   Dead give away!

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

Maybe someone can chime in and maybe post in Tech...if you are just hovering over the name to see the e-mail address, you aren't clicking on the e-mail and you aren't opening it, no harm done right?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling Good question.  I would like to confirm if this is possible.

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Is dropbox even a thing?

I don't get much spam/scam but recently Netflix Mexico alerted me someone logged into my account. I don't have Netflix anywhere.

And Paypal which I do have that my account was locked and login here. Pretty legit looking but the email was from Paypl.com with no A in pal.

Yes, dropbox is a thing. It is great if you are working remotely and need access to documents. I have used it for years. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@phoenixbrd 

Maybe someone can chime in and maybe post in Tech...if you are just hovering over the name to see the e-mail address, you aren't clicking on the e-mail and you aren't opening it, no harm done right?

@phoenixbrd and @Just Bling

Just hovering over linked text or image -- especially on an unopened email message -- is safe and a good first line of defense when dangerous mail finds its way into your Inbox.

The best thing, of course, is to keep these away from the Inbox completely. 

Strict filters and such things as settings that disallow automatically displaying external images are the best protection. 

The options and features can vary widely from one email provider/client system to another, so everyone should read about security offered with their particular provider/client and also re-read about it as time goes by and settings change.

Thank you for the alert, @phoenixbrd and everyone who added information about other malicious attempts.

I think the reminders are important. 

Take care, everyone!  Good wishes to you all.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Just Bling   Good question...we are receiving a lot of scam mail.  I stopped the hoovering over the name.  I used to do that before deleating, but one of the articles I read said that now even hoovering can generate a virus.  Don't know if this is true, but I'd rather be safe.

@phoenixbrd, In 2017 there was a rare use of the "mouse hover" as a means to invade.  I wonder if this was what you read about?

My understanding is that it was an extremely rare type of malware which first required a PowerPoint download from a spam email message and then when the user hovered the mouse over areas in the downloaded PowerPoint file it triggering the malware.  

Even though it appears not to be a current threat, and it took specific steps with a specific type of file to allow it to happen, it's good for us to know about it and keep an eye out for changes and warnings.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

Oftentimes your best immediate clue is to look at the email's RETURN ADDRESS .... if it's something that doesn't match who it's supposed to be from, you'll know right away.

Example ... the other day I got an email that was supposed to be from Capital One and within the convoluted email address letters was the word Daniel.    Obviously a dead give away. 

Trusted Contributor

I received a scam email the other day thanking me for subscribing to Windows Defender which is free by the way from Microsoft but supposedly I had been billed for it and paid $399 complete with my name and an invoice number.  It had a section at the bottom of the email in light blue non clickable lettering to look like links so I knew it was fake but it had me going for a second. You didn't know they were unclickable links until you hovered over them with your mouse.  Promptly got rid of it.  I showed my husband and he thought it was real too.