Honored Contributor

We have had DirecTV for 10 years and I love them.  We got service for our cottage 100 miles away for free, as if it were a bedroom, I guess.  Much better company to deal with than Charter-Spectrum in our previous city.  We have Hughes Net for satellite internet, our phone company kept dropping off.  Direct runs about 100.00, Hughes runs 60.00, rather high for just internet, but that's our only possibility.  Direct has a much better remote setup than Dish, we can check other channels on a bar at the bottom of the screen, both current and future time slots.  I couldn't do that at a friend's house with DISH, but perhaps I just didn't know how to do it.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass, how satisfied are you with Hughes Net?  When they upgraded to Gen5 were you automatically upgraded?  Are both the upload and download speeds consistent? I appreciate a critique of the service.

Where I am the only viable Internet provider (provider is a misnomer in this case) is Frontier and at my address the best download speed I can get until they upgrade (which they promise to do every year but the promises are empty) is about 1.5mbps which precludes efficient use of some streaming and security cameras which generally require 2mbps upload speed.  My upload doesn't even come close to minimum.

I am seriously considering changing to Hughes Net but am also tempted by Excede's new unlimited plan.  I'm hoping Huges Net will start offering unlimited.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.