Respected Contributor

We eat salmon probably once a week.  My kids love it too.  

Honored Contributor

Salmon is one of my favorite seafoods.  I eat salmon at least twice a month.  I eat other seafood at least once a week.  

My favorite place to get seafood is great-alaska-seafood online.  They are in Alaska and their service and products are outstanding!   It's so much better than at local grocery stores or even a highbrow specialty seafood market in our area.    

I prepare salmon in simple ways.  The easiest is to saute the non-skin side a little, flip it over so the skin is on the bottom and put it in the oven to finish.   I cover it with foil so it won't dry out.  Salt, pepper, or whatever I feel like.  Adding just a little lemon juice toward the end is great. The skin easily peels off with a fork after cooking.  I remove it before plating it.  I like my seafood well done but not overcooked.  

There are a lot of ways to fix salmon.  Google and see what jumps out at you.

Honored Contributor

I've tried to eat it twice and just couldn't get past the smell once the fork got close to my mouth and nose.

Honored Contributor

I buy salmon from the seafood department at our local Safeway grocery store. Unless you are on the boat or at the boat dock when it comes in then most 'fresh' salmon is not really fresh. It's all been previously frozen, don't kid yourself. 

I cook my salmon steaks in my 'Flip Pan' and they come out perfectly every time.Woman Happy

eta - I buy the wild caught pink Alaskan, not farm-raised which contains lower amounts of omega oils...though still good for you, just not as good as wild. Farm-raised has less of a fishy taste which some people prefer.

Trusted Contributor

I cook salmon for my husband every week. He loves it. I won't eat any kind of fish as I find it disgusting -- I think it's a texture issue. 

I cook it fairly simply -- a little season salt to season and then I pan fry it on a fairly low heat. When it's done a little butter melted on it and some lemon juice. If I were to put anything else on it, he'd complain that he couldn't taste the salmon. Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

I would not eat it for years until I tried wild Alaskan salmon purchased in a fish store that only carries fish from the United States and Canada. We had it tonight and I put a little Grey Poupon on it while cooking. It had a slightly sweet taste and not at all strong or fishy. 

Filet of of sole is another favorite ...a very mild tasting fish.

Salmon is a big favorite in our house.  The trick is to buy very fresh fish and to cook it the same day you buy it.  My DH enjoys doing some cooking in his retirement and bakes our salmon with a coating of mustard on the top.  Everyone loves it.  

Honored Contributor

Since I always eat low carb, high protein...it’s meat, chicken or fish every night w/ salad and veggies. DH may get rice or pasta. I made my easiest salmon recipe last night (reminds me a piece leftover to eat cold for lunch):

Salmon filets about 1” thick

Honey mustard (pre-prepared or make w/

3 T parts Grey Poupon and 1/2 T honey

Panko Crumbs

Dip filets in the mustard mixture and then in the crumbs. Sauté in 1 T olive oil in non-stick pan until outside is browned/crispy.

Esteemed Contributor

thanks everyone for your input....think i'll pass on the salmon.......but i appreciate you...hope all you salmon lovers enjoy the recipes that were shared...

Esteemed Contributor

@zannaLOL - Eating dessert first was a tip mom taught me!  Your receipe sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing - and so glad you enjoy the additional seasonings. Me, too! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

I've tried to eat it twice and just couldn't get past the smell once the fork got close to my mouth and nose.

Good salmon should not smell fishy. Until I tasted fresh, wild caught (not from China or farmed) salmon, I had no idea how salmon was supposed to taste...