Esteemed Contributor

@AuntGwrote:

If you like cat food, you'll like salmon.  To be serious, I buy it from Schwans Home Delivery because my DH loves it. I manage a small piece every now and then.

omg!  so funny!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

@nana59wrote:

i'm 68 years old and thinking about trying salmon for the first time!  i'm not a fish lover...except for scallops.....should i give it a try?!  is it a strong flavored fish?  bones-I hate fish bones?!  what the heck does it taste like?!  thanks for helping me decide whether or not to take the plunge!

If you don't love fish, I can't imagine you'd like it.  It's ok.  You don't have to like fish, so why bother with it?

thanks!  give me a meatball any day!!

Honored Contributor

@nana59.  I'm also not a fish lover but there are several mild white fish I can eat and enjoy like halibut, flounder and fresh water trout and bass.  I find salmon to be very strong and fishy, especially fresh salmon.  I can eat something like salmon patties made from canned salmon and doctored with some good flavored ingredients, with a sauce.  Buy yourself a small piece of salmon at the market an cook it until it flakes.  Dont overcook it.  Then decide if you like it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@nana59.  I'm also not a fish lover but there are several mild white fish I can eat and enjoy like halibut, flounder and fresh water trout and bass.  I find salmon to be very strong and fishy, especially fresh salmon.  I can eat something like salmon patties made from canned salmon and doctored with some good flavored ingredients, with a sauce.  Buy yourself a small piece of salmon at the market an cook it until it flakes.  Dont overcook it.  Then decide if you like it.

@Kachina624

Do you have a fish market where you buy FRESH water trout and bass?

I never actually swarmed the fish deli for those, nor white fish. Do they (all "3") have tiny bones or that fishy smell?

My husband will eat Talipia, and some catfish, but the shrimp comes from China and we will not buy that anymore. We live i a very large metropolis, and a 12- 15 minute drive to Whole Foods in the finest sections of town would not be a problem for me.There would be a fresh fish market there. That's in our close neighborhood.

I know zero about Costo, never been in one,but do know the sealed frozen is one of the best. It passes the husband's nose guarantee. 

Still, I like the flash frozen  [available] in a complete sea food case,  away from the deli fish display. Almost impossible to find anything not Taiwan, Thailand, or China in another (3rd) area.

Honored Contributor

@NAES1.  My experience with trout and bass has been with what my family caught.  DH used to go fishing in Texas He'd catch mostly catfish which I won't eat but always had a bass or two and those he'd cook for me.  I've spent a lot of time in Colorado fishing for trout or eating what othercaught.  I remember grandma cooking pink-fleshed trout for breakfast on a wood stove at their cabin on a lake.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@nana59I am not a salmon person except salmon patties, My Mother always made them and I love them and I loved the little round bones in them, everyone in my family picked them out and put them on my plate instead wasting them, With a baked potato and coleslaw. Just wonderful. But now I tried the salmon steaks from Q.V.C. and they are great just take them out frozen and place in a non-stick green skillet that I have and spray a little canola oil with my spritzer and cook for about 7 minutes , turn spray and cook for another 7 minutes and they are done. I make sweet potato puffs, they are like tater tots and a biscuit and meal is ready in about 35 minutes. I cook the sweetpotatoe puff and biscuits in my airfryer. While the Salmon is cooking. Soo Good! The sweetpotato puffs I just buy in the frozen food isle in a small bag frozen.They are really good also.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@NAES1.  My experience with trout and bass has been with what my family caught.  DH used to go fishing in Texas He'd catch mostly catfish which I won't eat but always had a bass or two and those he'd cook for me.  I've spent a lot of time in Colorado fishing for trout or eating what othercaught.  I remember grandma cooking pink-fleshed trout for breakfast on a wood stove at their cabin on a lake.

Thank you @Kachina624

I do remember my brother having these well known lake areas where (15-20 years ago) there was an abundance 

> of fresh fish of many varieties, especially Bass, Trout & (Blue gill??). Also, as you mentioned in Colorado, not much of Texas, though. 

What little I know of streams of fishing areas could fill a thimble.

Some lady told me that the best of the 'best' seafood was caught in or around the Gulf, around Jackson, Mississippi. 

How true that is, I don't know,...... but she lived there since a child and was visiting here.

She was grinning how small the shrimp was compared to theirs. I have heard that the Great North East has Salmon actually jumping out from anyone's closest backyard- close to a lake.

And everyone took that for granted.

All was from safe clean waterfalls and streams.

Salmon"

That was another, my neighbor lady who as a child grew up there (WASHINGTON STATE) and still hears from her brother telling her     `it`'s the same. Protected by parks and Wildlife enforcers.

**!! And we are buying fish from the Far East?

I have traveled and lived throughout the world and know just about 98 percent how clean what country is clean, and their histories- now to many years before all of this gunk was / is tainting everything!

Thank you for responding back. 

NAES

March, 2018

ps: When I was 18 and 20, I drove all around taking my family (pre marriage) over 2,500miles -we stopped and stayed in Gallup, New Mexico. 

Again I was there with my husband

for a week in New Mexico. Had a shopping spree there. beautiful hand made clothing.

Know a lot of Farmington, New Mexico. Many well known folks there. 

Esteemed Contributor

THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE THE GREAT NORTHERN WEST, -WASHINGTON STATE

Smiley Happy @Kachina624

Trusted Contributor

@nana59  you can try the salmon patties folks have mentioned here. They usually fry it. However, I really like a fresh piece of salmon fillet that is grilled, put a little spice on it , serve a top a fresh green salad, maybe drizzle some lemon and olive oil.. Very nutitious and heart healthy. Also you make like tuna sald instead use a pack of salmon instead of tuna.  I shop at a store that has prepared smoked salmon done this way, very tasty with some rackers or bread..

Super Contributor

Sharing my fav salmon recipe.  This makes 1 serving for me because I love the veggie stew; no other sides needed.  I serve this with some crusty bread.  Buy the salmon the same day you will eat it.

Broiled Salmon with Zucchini and Tomato Stew

2 ea.             Salmon fillets, about 5 oz. Each  (I use a 4-6 oz. piece for myself and make all of the stew)

½ tsp.           Salt, to taste

¼ tsp.           Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

1 tsp.            Olive oil

1 ea.             Garlic clove, minced

¼ tsp.           Curry powder, to taste (I usually add more)

1 ea.             Zucchini, medium-sized, cut into ½ inch dice   (I use 2-3)

1 ½ ea.         Roma tomatoes, cut into ½ inch dice (I use 3-4)

¼ cup           Water

1 ½ tsp.        Fresh lemon juice

1 tbsp.          Extra virgin olive oil

1 ½ tsp         Cilantro leaves, chopped (I usually leave this out)

1 ea.             Scallions, cut thin on a bias (I use green onions)

1 sm. pkg.    Edwards Key Lime pie (2 slices/pkg.)  

1.  Remove key lime pie from freezer. Eat one piece while still frozen.  Place remaining piece in refrigerator to thaw.  

2. Preheat over to broiler setting and set an oven rack about 8 inches below the broiler. Season the salmon with half each of the salt and pepper.  Place seasoned fillets on a foil lined baking tray and broil until lightly browned on top and cooked throughout, about 15 minutes.  If the salmon is browning to quickly, move the tray to a lower shelf.  The fish, when cooked, should flake easily with a fork.  

3.  While the salmon is cooking, heat a sauté pan over low heat and warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook briefly, about 30 seconds.  Add the zucchini and tomatoes and stir well.

4.  Increase the temperature to medium heat and add the water and lemon juice. Cook until the zucchini softens and the tomato begins to dissolve, about 10 minutes.  Season mixture with remaining salt and pepper.

5.  Place a cooked piece of salmon on top of a portion of the zucchini stew. Drizzle the salmon with the extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the cilantro and scallion before serving.

6.  Eat salmon dish.

7.  Eat remaining piece of key lime pie.