Regular Contributor

I love a good sale and I'm so happy when I get a real bargain.  In June my DH bought me the Judith Ripka Verona Tripla braceletfor my B-Day.  Today I just saw it $100 off at around $99.  It makes me sad and wonder at the markup on all her stuff.  

Honored Contributor

@TennersSad to say, but after a lifetime of buying jewelry of a wide price range, I feel that with very few exceptions, it's all profitable for the seller.  And the more we spend on a single piece, the more profit they make although the percentage of profit might stay the same.

I think it's hard to fall in love with a specific piece and wait to see if it goes on sale because if it's not within a short period of time (usually 30 days no matter who is selling) we don't get the sale. 

If I love something and I know I'm going to wear it (and I can afford it), I buy and stop watching the price after a few weeks on the theory that retailers have to run sales sometimes, but if I'm already wearing the jewelry (or the clothes) I've started to get my value and would be equally upset to see a sale and not have my love be included because it sold out.  I've had that happen too often.

On the other hand, if I'm only sort of tempted, I back off and wait.  If what's on my private wish list never makes it to a sale, there'll be something else and I wasn't totally in love to begin with.

I do hope you're loving your b-day bracelet and have already worn it.  Great gift.

Honored Contributor

@Tenners  I would just enjoy the lovely bracelet.  You have a nice husband.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

this really isnt anything different than regular retail. buy something 4-5 months ago and it is now marked down 50%? in general, that is par for the course.

i dont buy a lot of JR anymore unless it is older items i find on facebook or ebay. for her items now, if something catches my eye, i hold off until it gets marked down. if i miss out on it i am not too upset.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I used to love jewelry but many years ago, realized the ridiculous mark up and what a rip off it is. 

For that reason, I have just a few classic solid gold pieces,and have given up on buying any more. 

Best places to source jewelry for a price closer to what it is worth is pawn shops and flea markets. Some have some really beautiful antique/vintage pieces that are much more interesting than the new stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Tenners wrote:

I love a good sale and I'm so happy when I get a real bargain.  In June my DH bought me the Judith Ripka Verona Tripla braceletfor my B-Day.  Today I just saw it $100 off at around $99.  It makes me sad and wonder at the markup on all her stuff.  

@TennersThe usual markup for jewelry is 200% or more. In other words, the retailer doubles the price they had to pay for the item. So even at a sale price, they’re making a profit. 

Regular Contributor

Yup, my husband is the BEST!  I love the bracelet and wear it a lot.  Most of her new stuff is WAY over-priced.  Ex: I don't think anything Ripka in silver and diamonique is worth $700.   

Trusted Contributor

i ave a wholesale jewelery card.  they sell the really expensive stuff and the markup for them is 100%.  so if a piece is marked $25.00, my cost is $12.50.  then the stores markup it up another 100%.