Honored Contributor

We got a post card in the mailbox but our post office doesn't participate.

Esteemed Contributor

Just think how much food could be donated If QVC & it's  vendors  would stop wasting  so much canned and fresh food  when they  have their ginormous  on air  displays  . It's not only their food shows  but even even when they sell those lock &  Lock and Temptation shows .

Big waste

Esteemed Contributor
We live in a high rise & never heard of the postal service program. Boxes are put in our lobby every other month & are always full. The Town picks them up & delivers them to the senior building & the two large food pantries in Town.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Just think how much food could be donated If QVC & it's  vendors  would stop wasting  so much canned and fresh food  when they  have their ginormous  on air  displays  . It's not only their food shows  but even even when they sell those lock &  Lock and Temptation shows .

Big waste

@skatting44 

my guess is is that some of it DOES get eaten......by employees.

maybe in the building, maybe some take it home.

QVC is a big company!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 

The food I referenced in my post was regarding  canned or dried or  fresh items before they cook it . They don't have to have food in every container that Lock & Lock or Temptation's sell nor all the expensive fillets of beef or lobster  for food demos. One item could suffice .

All the other ingredients  are great  canned or dried food to donate .

Giving it to employees , well   there maybe   less fortunate people who don't have jobs  who have children  living on the streets . QVC  throwing away  what was  for onair  display is still ridiculously wasteful.

Respected Contributor

Received the postcard 10 days ago and almost  forgot.  Luckily, saw a neighbor bringing a bag to her mailbox.  We always have extra non-perishables in the  pantry.  A couple of weeks ago, the Big Y had a good sale:  Five large boxes of pasta for $5.  Happy to contribute.

Esteemed Contributor

Our local post office has always had a food drive for the local food pantry and pick up was the Saturday before Mother's Day.  They always sent a reminder post card with a plastic bag about a week beforehand.  However, this year, we weren't sent anything and Saturday night, I just happened to remember it.  

In my town, volunteers from the food pantry would follow the PO delivery vehicles and would pick up the food items.  My dad volunteered for this for many years and would drive his truck.  The bags of food would be put in the back end and after it was over, they would take it directily to our food bank.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

It hasnt been done  here in many years. I think carriers are lucky to get the mail out and have a sub for days they are off.  I have had a sub who lives an hour from my town.The Scouts used to have a similar bag food drive and quit that. Sadly many residents ignore the bags. 

Our Church has a box and May is for cleaning and paper products as the local pantry can not buy those. They prefer monetary donations to buy more and in bulk. A local supermarket has a shelf. I often donate my extra buy 1 get1 right after checking out. They also have a shelf for our Pet Shelter in the same area. Thank you to all who help out.

Honored Contributor

Re: STAMP OUT HUNGER

[ Edited ]

I gave mine to my carrier on Friday, she was happy to take it early.  

As far as the local food banks I give to them every month for decades now.  People need to eat daily.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1  We get a postcard from the post office, to announce the food pick up, every year.

We left two bags by our mailbox. Our wonderful mail carrier took them. Our guy is great, he will ring the door bell to let us know when he leaves packages.