Valued Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Guess I am lucky, a nice raise and my Medicare increased two dollars.

Same here @qvcaddition !   Heart

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

Most of my friends are retired or like myself (I haven't worked in 46 years).

However, my youngest daughter gets bonuses every February.  She said she expects to get at least $1,000 this years.

My point is, I guess, there are some businesses that are doing really well...Ha! 

I remember way back I used to think (when I heard about big bonuses....and it wasn't mine)..."I'm happy for that person and to know things are going well.....I wish it was me".  Ha!

My late husband would always try to explain to me that sometimes a raise isn't necessarily a good thing...(i.e. taxes and another pay bracket????) 

Whatever!  All I knew was it mean the money number was going up and it sounded like a good thing to me...but then I've never been good at numbers...Ha!  Also, I worked for the government and we didn't get bonuses and the raises were so small...(well, I guess, come to think of it maybe what he said did make sense??).  

Confusing??

Esteemed Contributor

A government shut-down (just like the last time) will not affect social security. Please don't panic.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

SS went up 2.8% increase.

Medicare Part B premium just went up to 135.50 from 134.00

They send out letters to everybody by the end of the yr. Your first

SS check will reflect the increase in Jan of 2019.

@SharkE... Received my letter today!! I'm getting a raise! Yay!! Haven't had a raise in 8 years so I'm happy about that! 

Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE... Received my letter today!! I'm getting a raise! Yay!! Haven't had a raise in 8 years so I'm happy about that! 

Merry Christmas !

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Merry Christmas !

@SharkE.. Thank you! Merry Christmas to you, too!! Heart

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

Just got mine today.  Haven't opened it yet.  It will be a surprise for me this evening.

Now here's hoping we don't have a government shut down.  If we do, I will probably have to take out of my savings that I have worked so hard to build up.  Was saving that for a rainy day.....and a shut down is not a rainy day.  I was thinking along the lines of any repairs I might need on my 21 year old car.  

@ShowMe- Social security checks will not be affected by a shut down....most services are funded through 2019 like SS.  It will affect those people who work for the government.....

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@patofl wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Yeah, we didn't want to bite the bullet, but, when one goes into nursing home they take that one's SS check and you either have to go on private pay or Medicaid to pay for all the rest. Medicare doesn't pay much on nursing home care. It's expensive.

Ours pays up to 230,000 per individual for maximum of 4 yrs. If one dies before and doesn't need it for the full 4 yrs the one remaining can come into what they had left over. We didn't take it out till we were in 60's at the advice of finance man. We have no kids and wouldn't matter if we did they're not gonna pay your bills. LOL  200 for in-home care to stave off

going into nursing home as long as possible.

This way the one at home doesn't lose the home and assets.

I'm sure I'll be told if what i said isn't apple pie order, but, that's the highlights as I remember them. Can't remember if that in home care of 200 is a month or how many times care givers have to come out,etc.

@patofl

Read your policy carefully. Our policy specifically states it only pays if you have been in the hospital at least 3 days first. Our PCP is aware of this and said not to worry , if one of us needs to use it, he'll put us in the hospital under some excuse like adjusting our meds.

That would be Medicare fraud, Dr.could get in big trouble. Any responsible case manager, discharge planner, or social worker would intervene I would hope.

Guidelines have tightened up and medication regulation is not a diagnosis & can be done outpatient or in the ER hold area.  It's not a valid admission code.  You do need hospital admission before Medicare will pay nursing home fees & only for a set period of time not an entire stay. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

This is my second year receiving Survivors Benefit and my letter says I am getting a $38 increase. I will gladly take it.

This is my third year receiving SB I am getting $43 every littlr bit helps.