Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry you're not getting a raise @elizabethl123

I haven't received a letter yet and haven't in 8 years (!!!) but my brother said we're getting a 2.8% raise in January 2019. As I said I've been receiving SS for 8 years and never received a raise in all that time so this will be my first raise. I do remember receiving a letter last year that asked if I thought my SS was not correct I needed to let them know within a certain time frame. I didn't so don't know know if I would have received a raise or not. I will be very surprised to receive one this year! I did hear that Medicare is going up so I don't know if any of us will receive much of a raise! That's a real shame, isn't it??? You work all these years, me...36 years, and we don't receive much raise at all !!! 

Luckily, I also receive state retirement for working 36 years for the state. I ended up divorced during that time and never had children. I guess the plan He gave me was to work all my life so I could take care of myself after retiring. Big deal, huh?? 

Honored Contributor

SS went up 2.8% increase.

Medicare Part B premium just went up to 135.50 from 134.00

They send out letters to everybody by the end of the yr. Your first

SS check will reflect the increase in Jan of 2019.

Respected Contributor

We got an email with the amount starting Jan 1st. it is a 2.7%  I don't understand if you are collecting soc sec & not getting a raise. 

Spoiler

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@sissel wrote:

We got an email with the amount starting Jan 1st. it is a 2.7%  I don't understand if you are collecting soc sec & not getting a raise. 

Spoiler

I agree, I don't understand people saying they haven't gotten a SS raise for years, when everyone got them.

Honored Contributor

@patofl Actually, that's not true. Not everyone gets an increase when they are given. I know this for a fact.

I got my form this week showing my increase.

Regular Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@patofl Actually, that's not true. Not everyone gets an increase when they are given. I know this for a fact.

I got my form this week showing my increase.

Why not?

Respected Contributor

Learn something new every day. I thought the SS increase (or no increase, as the case may be) applied to everyone.  So, some get an increase and others don't?  (And I work in the aging services field!)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Spoiler

The reason I didn't get a raise in those years is because my medicare supplement went up also.  It equaled out.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee...I thought everyone receiving a ss check got the same increase....wonder what qualifies a person for the increase?

Honored Contributor

i believe my raise was $5.00, most went to Medicare increase.