Honored Contributor

SINCE WHEN ARE DARK ROOTS ATTRACTIVE?

I happened to see photos of Paris Hilton's wedding this week ... and one shot of dark roots and a blonde ponytail where hair had grown out.   (see example below)

IMO, it looked AWFUL ..... and we know it's not like the woman couldn't afford a good hairdresser!  WHY would she think this is an attractive (and acceptable)  look?  

Back in the day, coloring hair meant a commitment to keep the color fresh and roots touched up.  It could be costly, but not doing so looked unkempt and lazy about personal grooming.  If you can't manage the touch-ups, don't start coloring.  There are plenty of root touch up products to make the upkeep process easier.   

Granted, this is not at the top of most women's good grooming priorities ....  but these photos of Paris aren't casual selfies that will mean nothing ... these are her WEDDING photos, and they will be around forever.

What's your take on dark roots growing out ...  or just left undone?  

Honored Contributor

Re: SINCE WHEN ARE DARK ROOTS ATTRACTIVE?

[ Edited ]

I never understood this trend when it took off several years ago and still don't but to each their own.

Those of us who had hair in the eighties really can't talk about anyone else's hair style though until all of those negatives are torched . Smiley SurprisedSmiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely agree. There is an anchor on CNN whose roots are so pronounced that they're a distraction. There are other women on TV who've adopted this skunky look. It stinks! Pun intended.

Esteemed Contributor

She looks like Barbara Eden in "I dream of Jeannie"......not that that's a bad thing as she was adorable.  I do agree she could have done something with the coloring for her big day, but you know Paris, she's probably trying to start a new trend in the hairstyle world, LOL!   I actually wondered if the ponytail might be an extension??   

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the look either.  And her pony tail clearly looks fake.  But she looks happy so I guess that's all that counts.

Honored Contributor

No life changer either way for me.

Valued Contributor

It's not attractive and looks tacky.  I honestly think some women of a certain age are doing it because it then looks like they have brunette hair that they are coloring, not grey hair.   Joan Rivers did it in her 70's when she would sell her hair powder and say to get the darker color becasue she uses it and it looks more natural.  Like she had dark roots in her 70's!   Have no idea why Paris would do it.

Honored Contributor

You can always try and hide your dark roots with a $$-multi-thousand-$$ diamond bracelet on your part. That might help distract away the attention from your lack of getting to your colorist in time for any big events you might have coming up.

Charlize Theron's Hair Jewellery at the 2020 SAG Awards | The Best and Most  Creative Celebrity Hairstyles of 2020 So Far | POPSUGAR Beauty Photo 7

Honored Contributor

The dark roots look has been around for several years now and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.  I wonder why a woman bleaches her dark hair blonde if she either can't afford to maintain it or is too lazy? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Many wigs have the dark roots, too. I think staying close to your natural hair color is wise unless you plan on getting color done regularly.