Honored Contributor

Upon leaving the dentist's office I wished the receptionist (she is probably in her early 20's) a Happy Holiday season. She told me she was looking forward to Thanksgiving this year, she loves getting together with family. I asked if she didn't  do it last year, she said they did get together. I told her she was very blessed to have family to be with, it isn't like that for everyone. For me I find the holidays very difficult, so many loved ones are gone, it is very lonely. I don't think she really got how I felt. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Conversation At The Dentist

I think her age is a major factor here. The ability to fully understand and empathize is not there yet. You are not alone @Jordan2 it's really eye opening when you realize how many people do not enjoy the holiday. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 Well she's in her early 20's. You can't expect her to understand your feelings being that you are older.  When I was that age and an older woman told me that I could not have related to it either.

Honored Contributor

Well at her age she probably can't imagine not having all her family around. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   Yes, she probably doesn't realize how the holidays might be for some others.  When I saw your title of the thread, I thought it was meaning how the DDS personnel always talk and ask questions when your mouth is being worked on and wide open and can't answer.  👩‍🔬 

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it has anything to do with her age.  Perhaps she was taken aback by your a soul revealing response when she was making light pleasantries.  She most likely was overwhelmed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Upon leaving the dentist's office I wished the receptionist (she is probably in her early 20's) a Happy Holiday season. She told me she was looking forward to Thanksgiving this year, she loves getting together with family. I asked if she didn't  do it last year, she said they did get together. I told her she was very blessed to have family to be with, it isn't like that for everyone. For me I find the holidays very difficult, so many loved ones are gone, it is very lonely. I don't think she really got how I felt. 

@Jordan2  I think she understood what you meant  but no way can she tell how you feel.

My 7 year old niece would have asked what happened to your family and she would invite you home for Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@Jordan2   Yes, she probably doesn't realize how the holidays might be for some others.  When I saw your title of the thread, I thought it was meaning how the DDS personnel always talk and ask questions when your mouth is being worked on and wide open and can't answer.  👩‍🔬 

Ain't THAT the truth!  It amazes me how my dentist and assistants carry on one-way conversations with me while their hands are in my mouth.  I sometimes wonder if, when they have conversations outside of work, if they're surprised when people actually talk back, LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 @She heard you, but fully appreciating this kind of feeling usually takes experiencing it, even for the very empathetic.

Holidays are so hard when are loved ones are no longer there to enjoy them with. It's like an empty place, a hole, in your heart.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's the place to be looking for sympathy anyway.   They have to deal with so many different patients/personalities all day long.....believe me I know it well......the best they can be expected do is smile and be courteous, IMO.