Honored Contributor

Re: SHUTTERS ARE UP - PLEASE PRAY FOR US

The anticipation of this storm hitting must be excruciating. I am keeping everyone in my prayers.

Regular Contributor

We live in southwest FL and have been preparing.  Today we put up the plywood shutters over every window and door except the front.  We removed everything from yard and lanai to avoid them from becoming flying projectiles and causing damage. 

Yesterday I went to the store and stocked up on items that require no cooking.  There was no bottled water, but, juice was B1G1 so got that instead.  Filled up containers with tap water to drink.  Will fill the washer to have water for cleaning and bathing.  Gassed up both vehicles.  Bought a small bag of kitty litter in case we need a make shift toilet.  

We are in flood zone B and could get flooding up to 10ft due to storm surge so we may ride Irma out at a friend''s who is in zone D with less flooding.  

While I'm relieved the models show Irma turning more to the east, I know things can change at last minute.  I also feel bad for those on the east coast who may bere the brunt of the storm.  

Stay safe everyone.  Hunker down and I'll see on the other side.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We'll be fine. Will close up all the shutters that cover our windows and doors, probably Saturday morning or whenever we know the true path of the storm. We are off the Gulf Coast just south of Fort Myers and should get some wind and rain. I fear worse for the folks over on the Atlantic coast. God be with them/vaya con Dios.

Honored Contributor

BINGO! dooBdoo!  For several reasons the cardinal "is" my late husband.  Can't believe this!  And yet I can.

The night my father passed, I stayed in a twin bed in my old family home.  My husband had to go back to Northern Virginia for the night to tend to his work the next day, so I was alone.  The mattress started going up and down, up and down on the left side, as I was lying there.  Not that I thought my father would ever harm me, but I leaped out of bed and spent the rest of the night with my mother.

Fast-forward 30 years, and my uncle (mother's sister's husband) passes away.  In front of the mausoleum, a gaggle of cousins start talking about some of these signs that we've seen from the dead.  Some joined in while others thought we were their weird cousins.  (Not really, but you know what I mean.)  A daughter of my recently deceased uncle was saying how some light went out in the bedroom but then began to tell us what she felt was truly a weird event after her father died.  She said she went to bed -- AND I FINISHED HER SENTENCE BY SAYING, " THE MATTRESS WENT UP AND DOWN."  She was stunned!  Yep, she looked at me with disbelief.  What can you say about this?  The mysteries that we will never fully understand are there.

Trusted Contributor

Prayers from PAHeart

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Prayers from Missouri.

Esteemed Contributor

@Miss Shelly wrote:

We live in southwest FL and have been preparing.  Today we put up the plywood shutters over every window and door except the front.  We removed everything from yard and lanai to avoid them from becoming flying projectiles and causing damage. 

Yesterday I went to the store and stocked up on items that require no cooking.  There was no bottled water, but, juice was B1G1 so got that instead.  Filled up containers with tap water to drink.  Will fill the washer to have water for cleaning and bathing.  Gassed up both vehicles.  Bought a small bag of kitty litter in case we need a make shift toilet.  

We are in flood zone B and could get flooding up to 10ft due to storm surge so we may ride Irma out at a friend''s who is in zone D with less flooding.  

While I'm relieved the models show Irma turning more to the east, I know things can change at last minute.  I also feel bad for those on the east coast who may bere the brunt of the storm.  

@Miss Shelly, kitty litter in sand bags works as well, if not better, than sand if you need to protect against flooding.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Miss Shelly wrote:

you might fill bathtubs too - good for flushing.  good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Prayers from California!

Honored Contributor

Prayers from West Virginia!