Esteemed Contributor

SHARING SOMETHING SENT TO ME

[ Edited ]

The following was sent to me from the son of my friend of fifty years who passed away from breast cancer in 2011.  I do not know if he personally wrote it or copied it, I just felt it is worth sharing.

You may not know me but I walk with you...

I am the light in the eyes of the newborn

child...the cry of those in pain...we are all

one big family on this earth...my hope...

my wish for this year is for people to

connect on a real level...to talk...not

text...there has been a grave loss of

personal connection over the last

decade...sit at the dinner table together

without scanning your phone very five

seconds...laugh...love and live as if there

is no tomorrow...there might not be for some.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: SHARING SOMETHING SENT TO ME

Sounds like something someone would give to their teenage son/daughter to get them OFF the cell phone.  Good intentions, but I'm wondering if having an authentic conversation might be a better choice of communication.  Yes, I agree...connecting on a "real level" is a worthy aspiration.  

Maybe he is reaching out to you in attempt to have a meaningful conversation, perhaps missing his mom who passed away 8 years ago.  Just a thought.

Honored Contributor

For those of us who did not grow up with or own smart phones, it is disconcerting to see not just young people, but anyone who owns a smart phone, engrossed in it when ever they have a spare minute. It bother's me when I see my nieces and nephews not able to carry on a conversation for any length of time with an adult or anyone for that matter without checking their phone. I don't know how old your friend's son is, but if he did write that note himself or even if he saw it and it spoke to him , it's wonderful he thought of you and sent it. I enjoyed reading it and agree with the sentiment.

Esteemed Contributor

You know what?  Everytime you see someone on a cell phone does not mean they do that to the exclusion of all else.

And a text can be very efficient and get an answer quickly.  Sometimes that is necessary.

Yes, live like you are dying and all the other wonderful sentiments out there.  There is plenty of sadness to be had.  Sometimes, that is necessary, too.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Sounds like something someone would give to their teenage son/daughter to get them OFF the cell phone.  Good intentions, but I'm wondering if having an authentic conversation might be a better choice of communication.  Yes, I agree...connecting on a "real level" is a worthy aspiration.  

Maybe he is reaching out to you in attempt to have a meaningful conversation, perhaps missing his mom who passed away 8 years ago.  Just a thought.

It was included with a lot of other things, song titles, poetry, politics, religion, a lot of rambling, it was nothing personal.  He misses his dad a whole lot more than his mother, dad was a former pilot in the Air Force and went on a lot of bombing missions, was a retired Major when he died from cancer in the 80's and this son was hit real  hard with his death.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

For those of us who did not grow up with or own smart phones, it is disconcerting to see not just young people, but anyone who owns a smart phone, engrossed in it when ever they have a spare minute. It bother's me when I see my nieces and nephews not able to carry on a conversation for any length of time with an adult or anyone for that matter without checking their phone. I don't know how old your friend's son is, but if he did write that note himself or even if he saw it and it spoke to him , it's wonderful he thought of you and sent it. I enjoyed reading it and agree with the sentiment.

Your words are very much appreciated.  I can never understand how anyone can take umbrage from something so sentimental, almost as though they take it as a personal affront.  He is in his forties, a very sensitive man who has two sons of his own.  Again, thank you for being so kind and understanding.