Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: SEMI-RETIRING - FINDING PART-TIME JOBS

@Spinach30 

If you are looking for a PT job that provides you with health insurance, I think Starbucks is one of the few that do that.   I'm sure there are others, I just don't know who they are.  But there aren't many out there that do that for PT people.

I quit working full time in 2005 and because of some family issues didn't work at all for 18 months.   I then decided to find a PT job and found 3.  I was working 36 hours a week.   UGH.  

One was with with a company that provided light care for people who needed it.   I had a woman who was house bound so her care givers came in 3 times a day and gave her a meal and kept her company for 3-4 hours.   There are quite a few companies that do that so if you like primarily elderly people and want a flexible schedule, you might check into that.  My lady and I played a lot of Scrabble; she loved it.  We also watched TV and just chatted.   I learned about this company thru a neighbor who worked for them.  I didn't take another position when the lady died 6 months later. The job was 9 hours a week.  This company was Seniors Helping Seniors .  They may or may not be in your area.

The second one I got thru a temp agency.  It was a 2 day a week receptionist / admin support job at a school for very talented and gifted students , grades 6-12.   It was a fabulous job.  16 hr a week.  I left there last June to fully retire and move 1/2 way across the country.

The 3rd was a jack of all trades job at a private tutoring center.   It was 11 hours a week.  I heard about it from a friend.  It was the second one that I quit.   

I tell you all of this because you can piece meal 2-3 jobs into the schedule and hours you are looking for.   So many places are hiring part time people because they are cheaper.   Think about what you'd enjoy doing and look for hours there to provide what you are looking for.  

Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spinach30 wrote:

I've finally decided to semi-retire.  I'm 60 years old and I've been working since I was 13 years old.  Seriously, I've never been without a job.  I've finally come to the conclusion I don't want to get up at 4:30a.m., commute to the city, put in a full, busy day and then commute home.  Hubby and I are in good financial shape but I'd like to find a part-time job to at least cover for medical insurance (which is quite high in California). I've been looking through Indeed and Glassdoor but there's not much.  Do you guys have any other tips on finding part-time jobs?  Appreciate your help!

I retired at 62 and worked parttime until a few months ago.  I worked in customer service at a midwest grocery store chain.  I loved it!  There was a huge variety of functions and each customer had a different request.  I wasn't a manager or big decision maker and loved that too.  It was a great change of pace from my almost-40 years at a Fortune 500 company. They paid me to laugh and talk to people while helping them.  Fyi, I just went on Medicare and a supplemental policy and it costs $450 less per month  and provides 100 times more coverage compared to my employer plan.

Honored Contributor

I've always read:  find something you love to do, and make a job out of it. Do you have a passion for something, that you could create a job for yourself out of?

Animals?

Crafts?

that sort of thing.

Could you work at a library?