Honored Contributor

Re: Rudeness from stranger. What would you do?

I would have rolled my eyes and ignored him. However, I have to say if he could hear your conversation 3 treadmills over in a noisy gym you probably were talking pretty loud.

Honored Contributor

@Adamlambert wrote:

I would have ignored him and kept on talking.  He was rude to say shut up. That said, it is very annoying to be there trying to exercise and focus and hear people gabbing. It's very annoying to me when people are on treadmills and on the phone.  Im there to work out, not socialize. I especially hate to hear cussing on the phone.  Ugh 

Because of bad knees, it has been a decade or more since I went to any kind of gym, but do people really think they are going to enter a facility where lots of people are in small confined spaces, and think there won't be social interaction? I understand if there is some kind of a class being instructed, one would expect concentration just on the exercising, but in the common areas where people are moving from machine to machine?

I find it odd that some expect to there to be only the business of working out, and not conversation or visiting among the patrons. 

Seems those expecting 'business only' should be working out at home where there aren't going to be rooms full of strangers they can't seem to tolerate.

Honored Contributor

I probably would have tried to ignore him but since you reported him I would be prepared for a confrontation.  Hopefully that does not happen but he does not sound like the kind of person to quietly take criticism.  

Respected Contributor

I would have been thinking, "Get yourself some headphones," but I think you handled it more wisely. There are too many kooks in this world to start an argument with a stranger. Hopefully, the management talked to him.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I've never belonged to a gym where anyone thought people should be quiet.

It's a nutty idea.

Gyms are loud.  Especially at peak hours.

Super Contributor

to the op who mentioned conversations....most people have quick, quiet conversations at the gym.  Usually if people want to talk for awhile to someone they will leave the workout area.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm getting evil now but if you are friends with any of the weightlifter dudes, just tell them to bench press the twit.  They are always looking to show off.  Volunteer the idiot for several reps.  Smiley Very Happy    

Honored Contributor

I wonder if Mr. Quiet Please is one of those guys who grunt really loudly when they're pulling/pushing weights.  Those guys always make me laugh.

But they always seem to be the FIRST ones to just leave their weights where they last dropped (yes, DROPPED - even though the signs in the gym ask to not drop weights).

They ignore the signs that ask politely (PLEASE) to re-rack the weights.

I always want to tell lthem, "If you're strong enough to lift it, youi're strong enough to put it back".

Honored Contributor

Don't stoop to his level. You did fine. He may just be a class A Jerk. Ignore him, and bad behavior gets reported (as you did), and let them handle it. It should not come to blows or whatever for you. They need to handle that.

Super Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I am so sorry that happened to you.  If the gym does not speak to him, time to find another gym.  I would definitely follow up with management to let them know you expect some action and will not be treated like that in their place of business.   Who does he think he is?

What you did happens in my gym every day.  Unless you are in a class or monopolizing  a piece of equipment while others are waiting (two things you did not do), you have every right to have a conversation with your friend.  

And that idiot needs to learn what 99.9% of us gym goers always do when we are on a piece of equipment.  Earplugs and/or headphones!  

Yes.  Not monopolizing and I always wear headphones myself for music and wouldn't normally be talking anyway except I hadn't seen this lady in a while and she came up to say hi.  I have a feeling he would have gone off on anybody, though.  He was filled with rage.

I agree that a simple set of earplugs or headphones would be a solution for him but, as far as i saw, he had neither.  I rarely see people in there without one or the other.