Honored Contributor

Re: Rudeness from stranger. What would you do?

I would have laughed in his face then ignored him and carried on with my conversation.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Contributor

Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry that happened to you.  If the gym does not speak to him, time to find another gym.  I would definitely follow up with management to let them know you expect some action and will not be treated like that in their place of business.   Who does he think he is?

What you did happens in my gym every day.  Unless you are in a class or monopolizing  a piece of equipment while others are waiting (two things you did not do), you have every right to have a conversation with your friend.  

And that idiot needs to learn what 99.9% of us gym goers always do when we are on a piece of equipment.  Earplugs and/or headphones!  

Trusted Contributor

That's terrible. I think you handled it correctly but I probably would have gave him the finger and kept on talking.... Oh and your question about random rudeness...have you been on this forum much? Lol there are some pretty hostile people on it sometimes.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Totally agree with Millieshops.  I am surprised at all the responses from posters saying that they would have confronted the man.  I had a road rage situation in my own family.  A fender bender where my uncle and the other guy got out of their cars -- and the guy hit my uncle over the head with a hammer.  You never know who you are dealing with.  Perhaps some people think that confrontation is worth that kind of possibile outcome.  Personally -- I do not.

Valued Contributor

I believe I'd have done exactly what you did.  Although my gut reaction would be to tell the idiot where to go, realistically that wouldn't change him and would only be lowering me to his level.  For me the worst thing about encountering someone like that is that it emotionally upsets me for days although it isn't my fault.  Telling him off wouldn't make me feel any better.

Super Contributor

I would have ignored him and kept on talking.  He was rude to say shut up. That said, it is very annoying to be there trying to exercise and focus and hear people gabbing. It's very annoying to me when people are on treadmills and on the phone.  Im there to work out, not socialize. I especially hate to hear cussing on the phone.  Ugh 

Honored Contributor

He sounds unstable.

I would have been tempted to tell him to STFU, but that probably would not be the best thing to do.

I suppose I would have ignored him, finished my conversation with my friend, and left.

If he continued being so beligerent I might tell management about him.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

I would have laughed in his face then ignored him and carried on with my conversation.

I'd be concerned that laughing in HIS face could result in a fist in MINE.

It seems to me that HIS intial contact was extremely inappropriate, especially since it was observed and noted by a disinterested 3rd party.

Your handling of the incident was fine. You will now need to observe whether there is any 

response made if the "yeller" returns.

Good Luck!

Trusted Contributor

Is there any signs posted that say "quiet or no talking, grunting or loud noises" people need signs and warnings apparently