Honored Contributor

The best response to rude questions was one I read here, "is there a reason you need an answer to that question"!

Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Questions

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

@QueenDanceALot The correct answer to that is heaven forbid I had raised one just like you.  Watching them think about how serious or joking you're being is entertainment unlike any other in a pinch.  

@Laura14 

Thanks, but I think my "look" is the "correct" answer.

@QueenDanceALot I know you and I  have different personalities but you didn't need to demonstrate the definition of rude.  It wasn't a criticism.  It was a light hearted response.  Lighten up.

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Yes. I ask them "why do you ask?" I usually get a mumbling answer and most realize they have over stepped.

@okaywitheasypay 

That was my response to someone who asked me a very rude question many years ago.  (I can't remember the question.)

Their answer?  "Because I want to know!"  

I don't know what was worse: their question or their answer!  😡

Super Contributor

I've had a few people ask why I don't have kids. I answer the same to everyone, "Because they grow up!" That stops it right there.

Honored Contributor

I've had many people ask me rude inappropriate questions. Especially these days-saying whatever you want with no manners or filter is an epidemic. In this new year and decade I'm going to be more direct with such people in response.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

@QueenDanceALot The correct answer to that is heaven forbid I had raised one just like you.  Watching them think about how serious or joking you're being is entertainment unlike any other in a pinch.  

@Laura14 

Thanks, but I think my "look" is the "correct" answer.

@QueenDanceALot I know you and I  have different personalities but you didn't need to demonstrate the definition of rude.  It wasn't a criticism.  It was a light hearted response.  Lighten up.

@Laura14 

Perhaps telling me what the "correct" answer would be is rude.

I think your answer is rather confrontational and unnecessary.  But if it works for you, that's fine with me.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Yes. I ask them "why do you ask?" I usually get a mumbling answer and most realize they have over stepped.

@okaywitheasypay 

That was my response to someone who asked me a very rude question many years ago.  (I can't remember the question.)

Their answer?  "Because I want to know!"  

I don't know what was worse: their question or their answer!  😡

My answer to their answer, with a big smile on my face would have been, well, I'm not telling you so you'll never know 

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf My goodness!  What an idiot!

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The best response to rude questions was one I read here, "is there a reason you need an answer to that question"!

Said kindly it could actually lead to a thoughtful conversation. Although they should already know what they're asking is either rude or out of line I think some people might really benefit by a sincere and gentle admonition that what they've said is inappropriate. No, it won't help everyone, some people are just inquisitive busybodies, but if you educate just one person it could be worth the time and patience. 

Respected Contributor

I have a friend who is a counselor.  We were talking one day about questions people ask that are rude. 

He said, try one of 2 things:

1.  Say to the person "why would you ask me that question"  OR

2.  Why do you need to know?

This way, it puts the ball back in their court and hopefully, they will be on their way.

It can be difficult to do the first few times, but keep this in the back of your mind and eventually, you will succeed. 

Yes, some people can be very rude.