Honored Contributor

Re: Rude Questions

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

@QueenDanceALot The correct answer to that is heaven forbid I had raised one just like you.  Watching them think about how serious or joking you're being is entertainment unlike any other in a pinch.  

Honored Contributor
When are you and your husband going to have kids?
Or
Why don’t you and your husband have kids?
Honored Contributor

Yes, I met up with an old friend for lunch recently. As we were leaving the restaurant, she turned to me and out of the blue asked me whether I was ever diagnosed with anorexia ( I am very thin).

I was taken aback that anyone would blurt out something like that. I told her that that was a very weird question and that, even if I had been, totatally inappropriate. She immediately back-tracked and said that I looked good.

But It brought back memories of her from the past -- very passive-aggressive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Yes. I ask them "why do you ask?" I usually get a mumbling answer and most realize they have over stepped.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

But wait regarding having kids................

When you have one and don't have another right away, you hear,

Are you only having one child or so and so is an only child, like the

world will come to an end because your kid doesn't have a brother or

sister.

I had my kids several years apart so my first was well out of diapers

and in kindergarten and then I had more time to devote to my second

child. 

Some people should worry about themselves and their lives, the oh

so perfect ones that they live.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Sure they have.  

"Why don't you have any children" is one.

I just glare.

@QueenDanceALot The correct answer to that is heaven forbid I had raised one just like you.  Watching them think about how serious or joking you're being is entertainment unlike any other in a pinch.  

@Laura14 

Thanks, but I think my "look" is the "correct" answer.

Respected Contributor

I recalled a rude comment  not question  per say in the workplace. I had a Head on car accident and broke both bones in my right arm and wrist and  after the casts were removed I was left with a nasty scar, I still have. I was 30 years old and lucky that is all that was broken.

My Supervisor, a man old enough to be my Father said ,"That's a terrible scar for a woman to have." Needless to say he was part of a Sexual Harassment law suit eight years later dealing with sexism and descrimination.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Yes, people ask all sorts of personal information.  On the other some people volunteer too much of their own personal information.  

I wonder if this happens out of loneliness or lack of desired atttention. 

Esteemed Contributor

like i've said many times before......you can't fix stupid.....

Honored Contributor

I usually come up with a flip answer.  Years ago people at work and dates would ask "why did you get a divorce?" which I thought was none of their business so I answered "Because he was cheerful in the morning." which wasn't a lie but took them back a little.