Respected Contributor

There are no circles where I live now, but I grew up with them.  Drivers were used to them and had no problems. 

There were some quirky rules but people understood them.

For example, by tradition, in one particular circle, cars already in the circle had to yield to cars entering the circle.

Not the correct way, but it worked because everyone accepted it.

I don’t remember ever hearing about circle accidents and I never had any problems myself.

Respected Contributor

Accidents can still happen anytime and anywhere, but I think round-abouts are supposed to be safer and have fewer accidents.  Like anything new, we need to get used to it.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

ROUNDS ABOUTS ARE TERRIBLE, HORRID, AWFUL. '

New Jersey took out their thousands of round abouts and sent them to us and other states. They are dangerous. We have come close to being clipped, side inpact accident several times. They are just plain awful.  You just have to go very slowly around those round abouts. People just sail thru them at 25mph, you can't. that is why their is such a terrible problem with accidents.

Honored Contributor

This is just saying New Jersey has bad drivers.

Not the Roundabout’s fault.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 I bet this is the same circle that my mother tried to maneuver many years ago lol.  She was a new driver at age 42 and with my brother and I in the back seat, Dad in passenger seat, tried so many times to exit the darn thing.  It's been a long time but I believe we must have gone around in the circle at least 15 times.

Honored Contributor

The only circle near me these days is by Bear Mountain. Drivers just keep barreling around it, into it and out of it. Zoom Zoom.

Respected Contributor

Not all traffic circles in NJ are created equally.  On most the driver ON the circle has the right of way.  On others, you yield to oncoming traffic.

I have a friend who lives in a town with 3 circles within a few miles.  They all have their own set of rules. Recently they altered one.  It was maddening before; now it's utter chaos.

Respected Contributor

how does one "sail through" the rotary going 25mph!!!  that's school zone speed!

in New England and we have these everywhere . The larger circles like the ones off 93/128 can be tricky because there are lots of cars going around at a pretty good clip. Just be patient and wait for an opening and don't blame the other drivers. They have the right of way. If you get confused turn off the GPS. You can always go around a few times.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@IdahoGram wrote:

Personally I don't understand what the problem with roundabouts is.  It's a circle!  Everyone should be going in the same direction, which is clockwise.  You enter the circle when there isn't a car to your immediate left and exit right when you have reached the direction you wish to go.  Easy Peasy!  

Sure if you are the only one using it.

There's one near me, it's like NASCAR.   No one yields.

And it's not clockwise.

You must be from Europe.

@software  Well you have supplied the answer to this whole discussion!  In the northeast US and in Europe they don't have NASCAR.  That's the difference.  Here you need roll bars and a firesuit for a traffic circle.  At least here in Oklahoma!  

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

how does one "sail through" the rotary going 25mph!!!  that's school zone speed!

in New England and we have these everywhere . The larger circles like the ones off 93/128 can be tricky because there are lots of cars going around at a pretty good clip. Just be patient and wait for an opening and don't blame the other drivers. They have the right of way. If you get confused turn off the GPS. You can always go around a few times.

@CatsyCline.  128 is the worst road I have ever been on! I have family that live off of it and I hate having to drive on it.