Honored Contributor

I'm just responding to the "douse" issue-people are saying they were never doused while spraying in their back yards.  That is an unequal comparison to commercial spraying.

Unless you disconnect the top of a RoundUp container and dump it on yourself of course you would not be doused while spraying in your yard.  The worst that could happen is some light spray-back if a gust of wind pops up just right.

Whether Mr. Johnson's cancer was caused by RoundUp isn't my call.  I'm just posting what I read regarding how he sprayed.  And accidents can happen.

The jury decided so there had to be something in the decision besides raw emotion.

Monsanto will probably never pay out a dime anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Some years ago our city decided to stop using Round-up and other herbicides around schools, on playgrounds and in city parks. The reason being that herbicides have been found to be dangerous to children and have been linked to learning disabilities. A recent newspaper investigation however found that our city is spraying more Round-up than ever before. Almost twice the amount than in years past. What happened? Parents complained. They complained that their children were playing on weedy fields. It's harder to kick a soccer ball through a weedy field, no matter how low it is mowed, than it is through a grassy turf. They want their children to play on wood chips not weeds in play areas around the schools. To maintain wood chip play areas the city must remove the chips several times a year, douse the area with Round-up, then spread fresh chips--and douse those with Round-up. So our city's campaign to phase out all use of Round-up ended up a complete failure. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I'm just responding to the "douse" issue-people are saying they were never doused while spraying in their back yards.  That is an unequal comparison to commercial spraying.

Unless you disconnect the top of a RoundUp container and dump it on yourself of course you would not be doused while spraying in your yard.  The worst that could happen is some light spray-back if a gust of wind pops up just right.

Whether Mr. Johnson's cancer was caused by RoundUp isn't my call.  I'm just posting what I read regarding how he sprayed.  And accidents can happen.

The jury decided so there had to be something in the decision besides raw emotion.

Monsanto will probably never pay out a dime anyway.

@Cakers3

ITA.

I read his story and immediately thought...this sounds like a

procedural issue of faulty equipment, unsafe practices...

not the product itself. And was his employer sued first because

they didn’t give him the proper equipment/gear to use?  

As for raw emotion...I think that was the foundation of the lawsuit.

I would guess no one on the jury had a deep scientific background 

to fully understand the reason why this product was used.

Definitely a David/Goliath scenario...feels good to bring down

the monster...I’m not going to disagree with their decision,

but just like any ‘Goliaths’ out there, there’s a big picture we

have to understand.  This lawsuit wasn’t about the big picture. 

Esteemed Contributor

Once a lawyer was involved, I doubt there was any thought of suing the employer. Monsanto has deeper pockets.

Keepin' it real.