Valued Contributor

Did Ritz crackers recipe get changed?  The last few boxes I bought were awful.  

Honored Contributor

I agree they are different.  I stopped buying Ritz as well as boxes of saltine crackers, because they just don’t have a good taste.   Oyster crackers and Town House still taste okay.

Valued Contributor

I forgot about Town House.  I will try those.  Thanks for responding.

Frequent Contributor

I thought the same thing and stopped buying them about two months ago.  They just don’t taste the same.

Esteemed Contributor

.......and very crumbly.  Called the number on the box to tell them something was wrong with my purchase and they said they changed the recipe.  They sent me coupons for anything from Nabisco and got Belvita bars instead.

Honored Contributor

i have a great pecan torte recipe that uses ritz crackers if you want to use them up. very easy, very delicious.

try keebler club crackers if you want to switch from ritz. my favorite crackers are made by pepperidge farm.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I hadn't noticed a change, but we usually buy the 

'flavored' ones. It wouldn't surprise me though as the premium of all graham crackers, Nabisco Honey Maid now taste like gasoline or something. 

A brand new fresh box can be ok but if they are in the cabinet even a few weeks unopened, there is something almost rancid about them. I thought it was me, but I had others mention it, unsolicited by me.

With all the big brother demands on what can and can't be in the foods (what kinds of fats etc can be used), and companies trying to comply or beat deadlines, many of our favorite old products don't taste the same as they are forced to make changes. 

We had a local potato chip company that had to change fats/oils and now a company that has been in business since WW II is making a product than no one cares to buy, as they taste greasy and just like any other brand. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohiowrote:

'flavored' ones. It wouldn't surprise me though as the premium of all graham crackers, Nabisco Honey Maid now taste like gasoline or something. 

A brand new fresh box can be ok but if they are in the cabinet even a few weeks unopened, there is something almost rancid about them. I thought it was me, but I had others mention it, unsolicited by me.

With all the big brother demands on what can and can't be in the foods (what kinds of fats etc can be used), and companies trying to comply or beat deadlines, many of our favorite old products don't taste the same as they are forced to make changes. 

We had a local potato chip company that had to change fats/oils and now a company that has been in business since WW II is making a product than no one cares to buy, as they taste greasy and just like any other brand. 

@Mominohio  They’ve changed the recipes on most of our old favorite foods now. I thought it was me and my taste buds had changed or something. It’s sad, they couldn’t leave tried and true recipes alone. There’s very few snack foods that taste good to me now.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohiowrote:

@Mominohio@saltysails

Seems like all the Nabisco’s have changed. Haven’t had Honey Maid graham crackers or wheat thins in ages.

Changes occur not only because of governmental regulations; also companies seem to think people want these changes - perhaps when they do the marketing research, it indicates they do. Many survey questions are vague and over-generalized.  

With crackers, cookies and breads, there can be both fat and grain differences that make a Big difference in taste and texture and, their r&d departments have not been able to replicate or create satisfactory replacements. 

Honored Contributor

@hopiwrote:

.......and very crumbly.  Called the number on the box to tell them something was wrong with my purchase and they said they changed the recipe.  They sent me coupons for anything from Nabisco and got Belvita bars instead.

@hopi

I also think they are crumbly .... I think they reduced the fat content and this is what causes it.