Trusted Contributor

I can understand people not knowing that about Rhode Island.

What I find baffling is the people in this country that don't know West Virginia is a state. Used to live in the beautiful wonderful state of West Virginia (yes West Virginia has half my heart, Pennsylvania the other half) and when we would travel to various parts of the country people would ask where we were from. We  said West Virginia and the response back most of the time was Western Virginia. And no they were not kidding. They actually did not know West Virginia was separate from Virgina.

So yes I can fully understand people not knowing that about Rhode Island. 

Ask them the capital of Pennsylvania and see how many say Philadelphia. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rhode Island

[ Edited ]

I was born and raised in New York, spent summers on Long Island from the age of six until my thirties, never heard the state called anything but Rhode Island.  

I had relatives who lived in Rhode Island, they never referred to it as anything but Rhode Island.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

There are a lot of strange and sometimes offense (to some people) official names of places all over the world.  The official name of Ireland is the The Theocracy of Ireland.  They have never officially changed the name long after they stopped being a theocracy and became a democracy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Born and bred Rhode Islander here.....I believe it just had something to do with the colony formed by Roger Williams in the 17th century here.   It is supposed to be on the ballet in November.  It's hardly ever used anyway and has nothing really to do with "other topics".  Though I can see how it may be taken that way.   Funny enough, we're not an island either!!!  LOL   

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

Be honest...How many of you knew the full name for Rhode Island was:  The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantation.  Of course citizens of the state know that but I'm 73 and have never heard of it even being mentioned.  It just surprised me.

I had no idea.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

Be honest...How many of you knew the full name for Rhode Island was:  The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantation.  Of course citizens of the state know that but I'm 73 and have never heard of it even being mentioned.  It just surprised me.

I had no idea.

I did.  I found out the name during a Geography class (they no longer teach that I've heard)  Later on, met a professor at school who teaches a university there.  He told me I was the first person he met that new the official name

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

I had no idea.

I did.  I found out the name during a Geography class (they no longer teach that I've heard)  Later on, met a professor at school who teaches a university there.  He told me I was the first person he met that new the official name

They teach it in my public schools.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

I had no idea.

They teach it in my public schools.

@mom2four0418  I know they used to teach it in public schools but now not so sure ?

Esteemed Contributor

I remember learning about Rhode Island as a colony and then as a state in school, but don't recall any mention of its full name.  I've never been there, but the pictures make it look like it would be a good place to visit/vacation some day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Rhode Island

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

thats so silly of rhode island! they should make the shorter name , Rhode Island, official. 

No doubt they will, given the current climate... Each to their own but it seems sort of ridiculous after all these years...

As for folks possibly taking offense, there will always be some who take offense to virtually anything. Personally, I'm not in favor of making gratuitous changes for reasons of questionable validity...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...