Trusted Contributor

Be honest...How many of you knew the full name for Rhode Island was:  The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantation.  Of course citizens of the state know that but I'm 73 and have never heard of it even being mentioned.  It just surprised me.

Esteemed Contributor

i am a native rhode islander....so, yes, i knew.....

Esteemed Contributor

I'm curious...what is the significance or history of Providence Plantation that it would be part of the name of the state?

Trusted Contributor

@jannabelle1   I'm sure you can guess or if not, please look it up.  I don't want this thread to turn bad and be poofed by the mods.

Esteemed Contributor

thats so silly of rhode island! they should make the shorter name , Rhode Island, official. 

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361   They are working on that.  Will probably pass this year.

Respected Contributor

My son's father was born and raised in Rhode Island. In fact, all of my son's paternal relatives live there. I have never heard any racist conversation or intent.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rhode Island

[ Edited ]

@grandma2pkmh, I meant no offense to anyone....my question wasn't meant that way at all. I asked since it was brought up in the post. So why even mention it in the first place? SMH.

Trusted Contributor

I live in southeastern MA and used to work in Providence and still to go there regularly (pre Covid).  I did know that was the official name even though I've never heard it used much.  Glad they are finally going to change it officially.

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmh   I know the full name because I attended college and then married, lived and worked there--total years about eleven.  Both my now adult daughter and son were born there.   The Ocean State is small but mighty in its beauty.  

Bit of trivia from my memory, didn't look it up:  Newport was the official state capitol in the summer for many years and Providence for the other, cooler seasons.  I think it was the only state that had dual, coexisting capitols.  At some point the city of Providence won out and became the sole capitol. 

aroc3435