Occasional Contributor

I have been a customer of QVC since the beginning.  The hosts with many years were trained in an elegant way.  With each product it was a presentation, rather than the new "hard sell" technique.  The impression that this new vending approach gives that if this item doesn't sell right now, the station will go broke and go off the air.  Jill Bauer is part of the old guard that presented an item.  The new hosts should take heed and develop their skills like Jill and the other long time hosts that truly made QVC as popular as it has become.  

F. Riey

Honored Contributor

Re: Retirement of Jill Bauer

I think hosts from the "old guard" at QVC  are a dying breed and one day in the not-too-distant future, we'll see the last of them.  TV shopping has changed, becoming more hard-sell and infomercial like.  Don't quite understand the reason for this as the Q essentially has no competition, at least on TV,  unless you consider Amazon and Walmart online.  Nonetheless, this is the route the PTB have chosen to take and theres not a darn thing we can do about it.  It's going to be a bumpy ride so fasten your seatbelts.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

The new line up of hosts has saved me thousands of dollars - and continues to.  I just can't watch QVC like I use to because of their presentations.  My pocketbook (and DH) thanks you QVC.

Respected Contributor

Things change. I don't get the big deal of a retiring TV host. And please, let's not blame .new hosts on hard sell. 

Respected Contributor

I think that the newer hosts seem to be frantically pushing merchandise even worse than the well seasoned hosts. So, that being said - the whole thing has gotten pretty stupid.

Really when I think about it, I am surprised that younger people would even think of being a host on a shopping channel anyhow these days.

There are wayyy better things to do.

Agreed - the older hosts will soon be all gone. It’s time.

Along with them though, a lot of the older customers too that just are not going to tolerate all this sales garbage and twitty hosts any longer.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

The newer hosts will become the "old guard", the older customers will be gone and the newer customers will become the older customers complaining about the newer hosts and life goes on and changes happen!  No business can survive on the way things were at one time.  I saw it where I worked.  Training and processes constantly changed as technology changed and what worked before was not as efficient.   The bottom line is sales and getting new younger customers who are their future.  They cannot cater exclusively to the older customers in the way things were way back because they are dwindling.

Honored Contributor

I just don't see younger people watching QVC.

They've annoyed a lot of their long-time viewers with these hosts who are not properly trained and are so annoying...

Esteemed Contributor

i do not watch that much any more, so I have not seen a problem with the new hosts, except that I do not know who they are.  If they are doing a hard sell, it might be that they are trying to prove to the bosses that they can sell and can sell lots of merchandise.  As they get more comfortable in the job, they will probably calm down.

What would be nice, especially with the critiicism on this board, is if QVC can contract with some of the older hosts who have left and have them conduct special training classes for the new and hope-to-be new hosts.  How receptive younger people would be to such classes is anyone's guess.  Things are much different today.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

They've annoyed a lot of their long-time viewers with these hosts who are not properly trained and are so annoying...

The older customers are not going to live forever and many are long gone so the numbers are dwindling.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

The older customers are not going to live forever and many are long gone so the numbers are dwindling.  

There will always be older people watching.

I do see a time when they will stop with live presentations though.