Respected Contributor

Re: Retirement in Florida

[ Edited ]

Hello, Deb,

I have worked in FL for quite a while but will retire to a place nearer my family.

Pluses:  If you like the sun, and live in the lower portion of the state, you will never have to experience winter again. (I happen to like the four-season scenario, so it's not a plus for me--except that I do love how bright the sun is all year round.)

As to nature, it's a beautiful place, if you can find somewhere that has not been ruined by sprawl, strip malls, traffic, and uncontrolled development.

No state income tax.  Every city has different sales taxes, so research that.  Property taxes also vary a lot.

Rainbows.   I live in SE FL and I see dozens every year.  And though the landscape here is flat, I love how that opens up the sky, which is always amazingly beautiful.

The best plus for me is that I happen to love my job here.

Minuses:

Hurricanes.  I have had a tree come through my roof, and have waited months and months for help from insurance.  Major hurricanes?  Three.  Services stop totally for at least a week.

[Tornadoes and floods]:  I have not experienced these personally but they often happen inland.

Insurance costs:  off the charts in SE FL where I live.  Especially storm insurance, but also auto, home, and health.

Education:  not a priority.  If you don't think that matters because you don't currently have children in school--think about the people who will come to your home to fix things, or the politicians who may decide how much funding the schools will have.  FL is not education friendly, and the results are pretty obvious in daily life.

Weak communities:  Transients often don't care about the communities, and people come and go.

I intend to retire elsewhere and I will really, really miss many of the natural beauties and pluses.  Personally, I think the sum is on the minus balance, though. 

Despite the absence of a state income tax, it is not at all an inexpensive place to live, has very few programs in place for the retirees who come here, and fewer still for the core of our future:  the children. Community spirit is lacking in most of the places I have lived here. 

Respected Contributor

@Deb213

Congratulations!!  You won't believe how quickly the time will pass and you will soon be retired.  I love being retired and doing what I want on my own schedule.  Although we live in Georgia, we are very familiar with the heat so Florida heat doesn't scare me.  Smiley Happy  I have friends who recently moved from New Jersey to Ponte Vedra ...just out from St. Augustine and close to Jacksonville.  They purchased a beautiful home in a subdivision there and it's like living in a year round resort.   They aren't on the beach, but are far enough from it that their insurance isn't sky high, but they are close enough to enjoy going when they want to.....especially when the grandchildren are down.  

I've never been a big fan of Florida until recently and after seeing all there is to offer in the area my friends bought, the proximity to excellent hospitals and healthcare, all the things to do that would not be too hard on seniors, I have come to appreciate why more and more people retire there.  Lots of entertainment for young and old alike. Also, in that area, they have as much seasonal change as we do in South Georgia...which isn't much, but enough here and there to let you know when it is winter.  Not so much fall weather in South Georgia or around the northern part of Florida.  Yes, there are bugs and alligators, but we have those pests as well.  I just like the overall "tropical" feel you get the moment you cross the Florida state line.   OH, and fresh fruit and vegetables year round!!!     

Honored Contributor

Re: Retirement in Florida

[ Edited ]

@Deb213

My folks moved to Alameda Isles in Englewood, FL. I thought he picked a great place....they both have since passed away...my Mom in 2003 and my Dad a few yrs ago. He stayed there until he had to go to an assisted living facility.

They had their own home. There is a section of homes in an area for pet owners. It is a 55+ community. There is a club house, a large pool and hottub, shuffle board, docks for those that have boats, and I think it's 9pm the gate closes so nobody who doesn't belong to the community can enter without a pass key...a credit card type. If for example you want to return, just use your pass key to open the entrance gate.

As for anyone who visits, there is a rule that they can't stay more than 10-14 days...last I remember.

Personally, I loved the place...peaceful. I loved the pool and hottub and when I visited my folks I used them daily!

The community is friendly if you want to socialize or not. 

My husband doesn't like Florida, so we will be retiring elsewhere. But if I was single, I'd be signing up. It is also centralized in many ways to Ft Meyers, Sarasota, Port Charlotte, Venice...a nice small town. Grocery stores are only a mile or two away...as well as small shopping malls for almost anything you need.

Well, those are the basics...you can google for images/info Smiley Happy

DH has another 15 yrs to work, but I have already retired (I'm 57, he's 50)...so it will be awhile before we make those plans.

Regular Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@Deb213

Congratulations!!  You won't believe how quickly the time will pass and you will soon be retired.  I love being retired and doing what I want on my own schedule.  Although we live in Georgia, we are very familiar with the heat so Florida heat doesn't scare me.  Smiley Happy  I have friends who recently moved from New Jersey to Ponte Vedra ...just out from St. Augustine and close to Jacksonville.  They purchased a beautiful home in a subdivision there and it's like living in a year round resort.   They aren't on the beach, but are far enough from it that their insurance isn't sky high, but they are close enough to enjoy going when they want to.....especially when the grandchildren are down.  

I've never been a big fan of Florida until recently and after seeing all there is to offer in the area my friends bought, the proximity to excellent hospitals and healthcare, all the things to do that would not be too hard on seniors, I have come to appreciate why more and more people retire there.  Lots of entertainment for young and old alike. Also, in that area, they have as much seasonal change as we do in South Georgia...which isn't much, but enough here and there to let you know when it is winter.  Not so much fall weather in South Georgia or around the northern part of Florida.  Yes, there are bugs and alligators, but we have those pests as well.  I just like the overall "tropical" feel you get the moment you cross the Florida state line.   OH, and fresh fruit and vegetables year round!!!     

Hi! Thanks for the positive info - would you know the name of the subdidvision in Ponte Vedra? I have heard good things about the area, but do not have any names of communities. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@Retired08 ...PS - After 40+ years of working, I cannot wait to not have an O Dark Thirty wake up (4:30 am), a hellacious commute (90 minutes on a good day), and stay awake beyond 8:30 pm at night. Thanks to all of those who say that they love retired life...Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Our local hospital is right next to our plan. When the employees go for a lunchtime walk they walk thru where I live. The YMCA is across the street from the hospital.Of course , most of the doctor's offices etc are right around the hospital and the PT center and radiology center.

1/4 mile from our house is a shopping area that has a great little diner , Hallmark store, Publix and Winn Divie, dollar store, and Bells. Our bank is also in that shopping center, as is the dry cleaner/laundromat, and a nice jewelry store I use a lot for repairs and watch batteries, a swim store, an office supply store, and a drug store.So pretty much anything we need is very close by. 

We laugh about how little we use our car because we go so often on the golf cart or DH rides his bike.

And you wonder how people can figure out where you live...

I thought the same.  The point could have been made without so much detail.  And no one should be dropping their guard.  This is a public forum, and there is such a thing as TMI.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

LOL, I have to laugh at all the comments about FL being Hot & Humid, of course it is, you're surrounded on one side by the Gulf of Mexico and the other, Atlantic Ocean, what do you expect!  At least you don't have to shovel snow!  As far as bugs, get a good exterminator, the worst place I lived where the mosquitoes would eat you alive, was Dover, DE, it was awful!!!

Lots of people in the northeast far prefer snow to heat and humidity.  Especially those of us who don't actually do the shoveling!

Respected Contributor

I was born in north Florida and lived here most of my life.  The only retirement drawback is the heat and lack of things to do that don't include water (beach).  When I worked it did not really matter that much but retired it does.  I agree with someone who said to rent a year first.  You can find rentals in the over 55 communities.   It is now hot here from April to October.  This year I don't want to leave the house.  It is awful.   The villages is designed for retirees and they do have a lot for people to do.  My suggestion is to be sure you do the right thing because undoing a mistake when you are older is harder.

Trusted Contributor

First let me say we have relatives and friends who live in Florida and love it!

We have not lived in Florida, but the reason I am posting is to agree with those who have recommended that you rent for awhile before you totally pull up stakes.

When my husband retired at 55, we left the mid-Atlantic area where I had lived my entire life and moved to a warmer climate - not all the way to Florida, but to the Carolinas. Sold our home and immediately bought a home similar to the one we left.

Long story short, we quickly realized we missed our old area terribly. Actually found ourselves longing for snow during our first winter! We were used to a big metro area and missed that. We simply had an incurable case of homesickness! The Carolinas are gorgeous but it just was not "home." 

We left and moved back to the mid-Atlantic region. 

So even though many, if not most, who move to Florida or some other new area have a wonderful outcome, I just wanted to share our experience. I wish that we had rented at first, and would strongly advise others to consider that option.

My best wishes to you on your upcoming retirement!!

Respected Contributor

We lived in Central Florida for 11 years.  It was blazingly hot in the summer.  You went from your air conditioned home to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned destination.  Crowds on the highways were worse than rush hour in NYC.  Tourists were a nightmare.  

We left Florida and settled in the Dartmouth College regaion of New Hampshire 17 years ago.  We are still awed by the changes in seasons and especially the fall foliage.  We are still awed by the green hills during the summer on roads with no advertising.  

Yes, it's cold.  Yes, it can be incredably snowy.  But, we have no interest in leaving New England.