Respected Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Our local hospital is right next to our plan. When the employees go for a lunchtime walk they walk thru where I live. The YMCA is across the street from the hospital.Of course , most of the doctor's offices etc are right around the hospital and the PT center and radiology center.

1/4 mile from our house is a shopping area that has a great little diner , Hallmark store, Publix and Winn Divie, dollar store, and Bells. Our bank is also in that shopping center, as is the dry cleaner/laundromat, and a nice jewelry store I use a lot for repairs and watch batteries, a swim store, an office supply store, and a drug store.So pretty much anything we need is very close by. 

We laugh about how little we use our car because we go so often on the golf cart or DH rides his bike.

And you wonder how people can figure out where you live...

^This.

She's also revealed the name of the town, that it's in two counties, which county she lives in, the builder from whom they purchased their villa and a whole raft of other personal info. Apparently it never dawned on her that there are people who are familiar with the area. I don't know the street name or address, but I do know which development she lives in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Our local hospital is right next to our plan. When the employees go for a lunchtime walk they walk thru where I live. The YMCA is across the street from the hospital.Of course , most of the doctor's offices etc are right around the hospital and the PT center and radiology center.

1/4 mile from our house is a shopping area that has a great little diner , Hallmark store, Publix and Winn Divie, dollar store, and Bells. Our bank is also in that shopping center, as is the dry cleaner/laundromat, and a nice jewelry store I use a lot for repairs and watch batteries, a swim store, an office supply store, and a drug store.So pretty much anything we need is very close by. 

We laugh about how little we use our car because we go so often on the golf cart or DH rides his bike.

^This.

She's also revealed the name of the town, that it's in two counties, which county she lives in, the builder from whom they purchased their villa and a whole raft of other personal info. Apparently it never dawned on her that there are people who are familiar with the area. I don't know the street name or address, but I do know which development she lives in. 

And then she gets mad...

Respected Contributor

As the saying goes, "there's something for everyone".

DH and I have only visited Florida as we have a SIL/BIL who are snowbirds (soon to be full timers) in Bonita Springs.  Once in September and once in April.  It is not for us.  Humid as all get out.  We have enough humidity here in Il.

We are getting ready to move full time to Az.  My parents had a place in Scottsdale for years and my brother has lived there since the early 90's.  Az. is not  everyone's cup of tea, especially this  past week.  It's monsoon season too.  However, we have the option of driving 2 hours up North for a cool down and some of the most beautiful lakes and woods on God's green earth.

I too would suggest finding an area you THINK you like, rent for 6-12 months and then make your decision. If it were not for the fact we have our small family in Az., we would have expanded our search for a winter-free area but, we are quite happy with the Southeast Valley of Az.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

^This.

And then she gets mad...

She has put her name on here the same way!   Thinks she's so clever.  Forgets that some people have a memory and her statements were something you would easily remember for other reasons.

Regular Contributor

Re: Retirement in Florida

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all who provided so much good information! I have enjoyed reading your posts - so many different and interesting perspectives. I agree with those of you who recommend renting for a period of time, although I will have to wait until I am finally retired as I would not be able to take that much time off from work currently.

We are hoping to take a trip down next March for a couple of weeks and visit different areas of Florida. To those of you who provided your community/town names, thank you so much as I will definitely research those areas as we plan our trip. Celebration sounds like a fun community...Smiley Happy

And thanks for the well wishes on my retirement! There were many times when I did not think I would make it to this point, but now that I am almost there, I am so happy that I stuck with it! I cannot wait....Smiley Happy

Have a great Sunday and thanks again for your help!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Retirement in Florida

[ Edited ]

Florida is 500 miles long and  averages160 wide.  Then you have the Panhandle and the Keys.  

There is something for everyone here and I surely hope you find a place you can enjoy.  1,000 move to Florida each week.  It is also a great place to work.

There's a lot more to Florida than the Beaches or The Villages.  Most areas have 55+ communities and they all have organized activities you can participate in if you so desire.  My area has everything within 50 miles that you could possible want from a tatting club to a professional volunteer orchestra..... even a Senior softball league and, of course, shuffleboard, which is a family sport! 

You have a pretty good  description of the  different areas in your responses.  

Happy retirement.

Honored Contributor

@lrbrb wrote:

I live in a 55+ manufactured home community that boasts 2 championship golf courses, 2 clubhouses (one with a restaurant), tennis courts, bocci ball, a gym, and 2 pools.  It's called Cypress Lakes and is located just north of Lakeland which is between Tampa and Orlando.  We have an activities director and there's always something going on.  The only drawback is that lot rents are fairly expensive.  There are a couple of sections that are land owned but we do pay a monthly service fee.  I agree with another poster who said that The Villages would be a good place to visit.  You should live in Florida for at least one summer before deciding to sell your northern home.  Summers in Florida are very hot!  I lived there full time for 4 years before I finally talked my husband into coming north  each summer.  I just can't deal with the heat.  I hope I've given you some information that will be helpful to you.

@lrbrb

Same thing happened with the parents of one of my friends.  They kept their NYC apartment just in case they had a problem with summer weather in FL.  They spend their summers in New York!

Esteemed Contributor

I also agree with those that said rent before you decide. Summers are very hot and humid. Suggest you rent from June-August at least and get a feel for it.

Honored Contributor

LOL, I have to laugh at all the comments about FL being Hot & Humid, of course it is, you're surrounded on one side by the Gulf of Mexico and the other, Atlantic Ocean, what do you expect!  At least you don't have to shovel snow!  As far as bugs, get a good exterminator, the worst place I lived where the mosquitoes would eat you alive, was Dover, DE, it was awful!!!

Honored Contributor

@Gooday wrote:

As the saying goes, "there's something for everyone".

DH and I have only visited Florida as we have a SIL/BIL who are snowbirds (soon to be full timers) in Bonita Springs.  Once in September and once in April.  It is not for us.  Humid as all get out.  We have enough humidity here in Il.

We are getting ready to move full time to Az.  My parents had a place in Scottsdale for years and my brother has lived there since the early 90's.  Az. is not  everyone's cup of tea, especially this  past week.  It's monsoon season too.  However, we have the option of driving 2 hours up North for a cool down and some of the most beautiful lakes and woods on God's green earth.

I too would suggest finding an area you THINK you like, rent for 6-12 months and then make your decision. If it were not for the fact we have our small family in Az., we would have expanded our search for a winter-free area but, we are quite happy with the Southeast Valley of Az.

Everyone has differing likes & dislikes. I absolutely hate the desert. I hope your going to love it there.