Valued Contributor

Didn't the OP have a thread not that long ago about how busy she was every day - a different outing planned for each day of the week except Saturday? 

Maybe it was somebody else?

Respected Contributor

I think it's rather amusing myself.  So many older folks (as demonstrated on this very forum) are disdainful of cellphones and smartphones, and yet, if they had one, they wouldn't "forget" what day of the week it is or miss and appointment!

Even before retiring, working a very demanding job that required all kinds of meetings and training sessions and deadlines I scheduled everything in my calendar with reminders set for 24 hours ahead and another alarm set to go off 5 minutes before I would need to leave to make the appointment on time.

I still get up at the same time every day.  I still set my appointments in my calendar and that calendar automatically syncs between my laptop and my phone.  I don't have as many appointments these days.  Another great thing about my cellphone - when I get up in the morning and pick up my phone from my nightstand, it automatically wakes up and shows me the date, day and time.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I volunteer with seniors and have come to realize that even the most astute often lose track of what day it is.  I have come to the conclusion that a working week is so structured that the activities specific to each day tell us subconsciously what day it is.  What worker or parent doesn’t know the feel of Monday morning or Friday afternoon.  During the week there are triggers such as garbage day, maybe a meeting at work that is held weekly on the same day at the same time, there are kid’s activities/practices, religious activities that occur on a set schedule, favorite TV shows that come on weekly, etc.  All these consistently repetitive patterns in the course of each week set our inner clocks to set our sense of timing.  When the kids are grown & gone and we are retired many (if not most) of those patterns disappear.  By the time someone makes it into senior living environment even things like garbage day are irrelevant.  Days become the same and they run into weeks that are the same.  Big events are doctor’s appointments and the results of medical tests are like getting your SAT/ACT scores – news to be celebrated & shared because they may dictate your very future.   

I watch staff at senior centers asking questions of the residents like “do you know what day it is?” and I think those young workers are in the cycle of life where the pattern of the days/weeks are clearly defined.  They think if someone can’t answer those questions they must have memory issues.  I don’t think that is necessarily true.

@This is so true @Havarti. In fact, I have been to psychoneurological evaluations with more than one family member and this is always the first question asked.  I have said to the doctor that I don't think it's a fair question because anyone who is not on a strict daily schedule (like being on vacation or retired) will have difficulty answering.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a clock in my kitchen that has days of the week instead of numbers!

Honored Contributor

I think it's because we live in a 24/7 world nowadays.      Before I retired, my work week was Fri thru Mon......overnights    My "weekend"  was Tues, Weds & Thurs............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Sometimes when I wake up in the morning I have to think to myself what day of the week it is.  The good news is I always remember.

Since I retired I have never missed an appointment.  All doctors' offices and my hair salon call 2 days in advance to remind you.   I keep a pocket calendar with all my appointments.

Honored Contributor

I definitely forget the day and date sometimes. Thank heaven for my iPhone - which I also use as a watch, since I stopped needing to wear one ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@151949

Exactly right about days of the week and dates after retirement. Every day to me is a new day, what ever name goes with it.

Living here in the Midwest, hard not to know what season is upon us. I have never had trouble with appointments or meetings. I have always been a stickler for knowing when I have scheduled something with others.  And I am also one that believes in punctuality for everything I have on my docket.

Retired in 1991 and have never regretted my decision.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

you know, unless I have an appointment, plans, or it is trash day, who cares what day it is.? It's not like you will go the whole day without knowing. My favorite quote from Downton Abbey is the dowager countess asking, " what is a weekend ? "

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I've often said that if I skip one day's pills, I am in trouble: 

I won't know what day of the week it is !!!!!!       Lol

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill