Esteemed Contributor

I think you answered your own question in your paragraph. Doesn't sound like you're ready to retire. You will know when it is time. And you will be blessed to receive a retirement pension. I retired recently, at 58, from higher education. I had my 80 points (service years + age). Things were getting even more political at work, attrition meant no new hires and work was absorbed by people working 10 hours a day. The counseling department was also going to absorb financial aid work -- and I didn't wanna!! So I knew. But I didn't want to stop working, so I work part time, with less responsibility, at another college. Love it. It's a good fit for me at age 60. I am so fortunate. My husband plans to work 4 more years, then perhaps work part time. I may or may not retire at the same time. It all depends on what's a good fit for me at the time. Find your good fit and all will be well. Good luck to you

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

If you think you'll miss work, you're probably not ready yet.

I retired from teaching and there was "that moment." My principal piled one more large, large unpaid duty on me. I went home, prayed about it, checked my financial situation, and turned my resignation letter in. I have never regretted it.

Respected Contributor

I am 65 and will miss work very much when I retire, so I am putting it off. I am not averse, either, to saving more now rather than drawing on savings now.

If things change, I will know it is time: I agree with earlier posters. But I would prefer to make a big change when I retire, moving back to New England or even Manhattan, and not stay in FL.

I will make my choice depending on how much money I have at the point that I decide to retire. As long as my health is OK, I will probably keep working. I get way more good than bad out of it.

I don't want to volunteer in retirement. I have done plenty of pro bonum work all my life. One of my three jobs is unpaid.

When I retire, I want to pursue my avocations without worrying about money and so I will continue to save until it's time. Plus most days, 90% of the time, my work makes me really happy.

If I leave my main job here in FL, which I love, I will want to move back to New England or NYC to the people I love. Nothing for me here if I retire. Just a bunch of people obsessing about their own lawns and having their dogs poop on mine. (Or sometimes I feel that way. I have two new neighbors who are very selfish and arrogant. The other neighbors are great.)

Respected Contributor

I am 65 and have have retired a couple of times and always missed the work environment. I am very blessed to be working where I love with people I adore, each day more interesting than the last. I enjoy the camaraderie, interacting with new people each day, leaning new things ( today for example while typing up a beneficiary deed that referenced a quit claim deed using "chain" and "link" as measurements for an acre cemetery on an old plot of land - I researched and learned what those terms of land surveying meant.)

I enjoy dressing up for the office, meeting friends for lunch, etc. I work three days a week (I got to pick which three - M, Tu and Wed.) I volunteer, spend time with friends shopping and running around, spend time with family, etc. on the other days. My husband catches up with his friends and solves the world's problems over breakfast and lunch on the days I work - we often go out to eat after I get off so it is enjoyable and relaxing for all.

Working when one doesn't have to for financial reasons is very freeing. I will work as long as I can as I truly do love it. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

To the OP, I agree with the others. You will know when you no longer find the job satisfying and fulfilling.

Respected Contributor

My 83 yo old father-in-law still works (albiet part time). He says he'd go crazy being at home all the time otherwise. He also has an active social life.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/8/2014 abbeythe8th said:
On 7/8/2014 esmerelda said:

You're retired every summer, so you get a taste of it. If you worked in a different job year 'round, you WOULD know when it was time to retire.

Retirement isn't death. Lots of opportunities for volunteer work, part time work.

I'm a retired teacher. Summer vacation is nothing like retirement. Most teachers spend a good part of the summer preparing for the next school year.

OP, you will know. Retirement is the best!

No the ones I know. They have summer jobs.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor
On 7/8/2014 abbeythe8th said:
On 7/8/2014 esmerelda said:

You're retired every summer, so you get a taste of it. If you worked in a different job year 'round, you WOULD know when it was time to retire.

Retirement isn't death. Lots of opportunities for volunteer work, part time work.

I'm a retired teacher. Summer vacation is nothing like retirement. Most teachers spend a good part of the summer preparing for the next school year.

OP, you will know. Retirement is the best!

Abby-thank you-I was thinking the same thingSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My dh is 73 years old and still works every day, maybe not a FULL day but it is not an office job, he has to lift and moves about a lot. We are self employed and I am 14 years younger and if he could not work we could sell the business and be retired but it would be tight....but so far he still wants to work which is OK with me...

I think a person knows when they are ready..he does not have many hobbies so I think he would be bored to death if he did not have his work.

Respected Contributor

My DH will retire in two years at 62, he's an engineer and could possibly get a consulting job after he retires. I think it will be hard for him to go from working over 50 hours a week to not working and if he could get a part time consulting job to ease into retirement that would be great. It's up to him though. I quit working full time when my children were in middle and high school and got a part time job after my daughter went to college. I'll be 60 this fall and not sure when I'll quit but I think I'll know when I'm ready. Luckily, financially we're in good shape and at the present time we're both in good health and we're trying to exercise, eat right to try to stay in good health. After I quit my part time job I will definitely do some volunteer work.

Super Contributor

Most of my friends retired earlier than I did. I waited until I was a few months after my 68th birthday. I had a financial goal set and worked until I reached that goal ... I wanted a comfortable retirement.

My job was never ""my life."" I had a fairly active life and interests away from work ... so the transition was really easy.

It's been almost four years since I retired ... life is good!