Trusted Contributor

Re: Retired - but going back to work

[ Edited ]

I leflt the first response.  Now that I see this - I'm a legal secretary and have been for 30+ years.  I hearted the person who talked about the drama.  I can't imagine ever coming back or going to work again with a bunch of spoiled, grown children like the attorneys have become.  It's gotten worse and worse over the years.  When I first started we were more of a "team".  Now if something goes wrong, the staff are the first ones blamed by the attorneys.  It's all different now.  I have always worked in private practice not in government or the corporate environment.  By the way, I apologize if I have offended any attorneys reading this.

The drama queens (lawyers and staff) also drive me absolutely crazy.  If something's not wrong let's make something up.  Save me!!

People in my life hav also disappointed me almost at every turn, I really would like to spend most of my time alone.

You couldn't drag me back -- I dream of never coming into another law office again.  I have six years to go and just know I'm not going to make it that long.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I'm going back to work at the job I left to retire.  

Really? The jobs I left I physically could not do. Maybe it's someone's norm, but none of the factory workers I know would consider it their norm.

"Whatever floats your boat"?

HEY, BE HAPPY!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:
You know they say that staying in touch with people is healthier. 

Who might they be? My study tells me people are healthier being around domestic animals. I disagree with they.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I retired 10 yrs. ago.  Have worked part time at something totally different since then.  I enjoy the actual work but the interaction with my very young and often bratty colleagues is getting on my nerves.  Being a hermit sounds pretty good this afternoon! 😬

Respected Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

I leflt the first response.  Now that I see this - I'm a legal secretary and have been for 30+ years.  I hearted the person who talked about the drama.  I can't imagine ever coming back or going to work again with a bunch of spoiled, grown children like the attorneys have become.  It's gotten worse and worse over the years.  When I first started we were more of a "team".  Now if something goes wrong, the staff are the first ones blamed by the attorneys.  It's all different now.  I have always worked in private practice not in government or the corporate environment.  By the way, I apologize if I have offended any attorneys reading this.

The drama queens (lawyers and staff) also drive me absolutely crazy.  If something's not wrong let's make something up.  Save me!!

People in my life hav also disappointed me almost at every turn, I really would like to spend most of my time alone.

You couldn't drag me back -- I dream of never coming into another law office again.  I have six years to go and just know I'm not going to make it that long.

@aggravated - I hear you - I could write a book about my experiences in a law office - affairs, fighting between attorneys, drama with staff.  The office I am going back to has a total of 5 people, so there's not much drama (used to be but they finally fired the drama queen).  Hang in there!  I feel for you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Going back to work part time would probably be good for me - it would save me some money!  I am always out running around.  Seldom is there a day when I am home all day.  I do volunteer work, go out to lunch/dinner, shopping, go to movies/plays, etc.  If I work part time and employer pays my medical insurance that would really make me happy!

Respected Contributor

Psych yourself up for it.  Obsess over all the positive aspects of it and approach it as something that adds to your life.  If you don't like it, you can always quit or get something else, but it will be a better experience if you look forward to it.

I'm not retired, but for some reason I think about working in a flower shop after I retire.  The reality might not meet my expectations, but I do love flowers and know a good amount about them.  There aren't that many flower shops around these days, though, with the Internet.

Respected Contributor

I've been very fortunate to retire early, but still work occasionally!

I did apply for and get a fun summer job at my local Regional Park Service with the DNR! Working the boat launch and doing the Invasive Species checks. I will also go around the lake giving the "kids" their lunch breaks and such!

I get to be outside on the nice days, they close on rain days!

The FUN part is that it's my choice as to what I want to do, it pays very little but I am in a great environment working with all ages!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I bet it will be fun.  How nice to go in and do your job for a few hours a week, knowing the office problems are not your problem.  Give it a try for a few months, knowing if you don't love it, you can leave.  Best wishes to you.

Trusted Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I've been very fortunate to retire early, but still work occasionally!

I did apply for and get a fun summer job at my local Regional Park Service with the DNR! Working the boat launch and doing the Invasive Species checks. I will also go around the lake giving the "kids" their lunch breaks and such!

I get to be outside on the nice days, they close on rain days!

The FUN part is that it's my choice as to what I want to do, it pays very little but I am in a great environment working with all ages!

I've done the same thing as you. I went back to work part time in animal rescue and at a local park. It's completely different when you don't HAVE to work and you work at something you enjoy. It's not a chore anymore. And because I can work as much or as little as I want, I don't get into a rut. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.