Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart    Do you have a financial advisor?  When DH retired two years ago we hired a Financial advisor to direct us and guide us to make good decisions. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Retire 100%?

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

I retired after nearly 40 years with a huge corporation 2.5 years ago.  It took 30 seconds to adjust to retirement from this company.  I never looked back.

I've been working 15-18 hours a week in customer service at a midwest grocery store chain since retiring.  My resignation letter is sitting on the table waiting to be delivered.  

I want to quit the grocery store but it's a little scary.   I've worked in one capacity or another since I was 10 years old.  It's a big change.

I can afford to quit but it will be a change in my income. It's not significant but it'll be a change. I have 2 other incomes each month.  Every bill is paid except for what's left on my house.  My medical insurance premium will decrease by half in June.  All I have are utilities, medical, and the usual household things like groceries, savings, and such.  

Why am I so nervous?  

@CalminHeart

I know why .... because now you need to get a life. 

What did you plan to do in retirement?  What do you do for pleasure?  What are your hobbies?  Have you ever done any volunteer work?

When my Dad retired, he was afraid he would have nothing to do and no focus for his time & energy.   So, he expanded his garage from a 2 car to a 3 car and found a rusted out old 1929 Ford Model A and restored it from the ground up  .... it took him 3 years of puttering, but he later won more than 30 first place trophies at antique car shows.   He was so proud of his work and that car.

He once told me he was afraid he wouldn't  have anything to do when he retired, but years later he was so busy that he wouldn't have been able to fit a job in if he ever had to go back to work!  LOL

Like people plan their careers, you now need to plan your retirement.

Trusted Contributor

You're nervous, because it is a big change.

You've determined that finances are not an issue.

Are you concerned about being lonely?

The one thing you didn't mention - how do you feel about the job in the grocery store?

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Worked to age 71 because I had fear I would not be able to financially survive. All years totaled, more than 40yrs working. Being divorced in my 50's left me not only "scarred" but fearful of being a bag lady, hence the need to work hard for financial security. It took me close to 10yrs to clean up the mess I was left with but I also had a goal in mind, "went without" and worked toward it, saved every penny, made some good financial choices and achieved more than I ever expected, all on my own.  I had been working 12-hr days for the last 4 years before retirement and I got into the habit of how to live my life around a 12-hr work day.  When I retired, I spent about a month walking around in circles trying to fill up my days, having been used to the rat race....but that is about all it took.  Once I told myself this freedom was what I was working so hard for, I started using my days to my own benefit and slowed down... I had planned to be financially free and clear, debt free with money saved.  I do not have to worry about anything financial ever again......Love it!  You are nervous because you don't know anything else but working.....I did the same. You will be just fine, give yourself some credit!  There is some great advice from posters here and listen to our experiences, routine is hard to break and change....but it is great to be free!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Several of you asked what I'll do in the future.  I'm currently taking care of my elderly father and disabled sister.  I also do charity work and help in my church parish.  I have friends I see on a regular basis.  I have a son, DIL, and three grands who life quite a ways from me so I'll be able to go see them. I have other kids in town and come from a huge family -- my siblings and their families add up to 44 people.  I won't be sitting at home if I quit my parttime job.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I wrote a letter to HR and asked for 3 months off.  If they are unable to approve that, I told them the letter served as my two weeks notice.  I work tonight so will see if HR says anything.  I talked to my dept manager before I left the letter for HR.  She was very understanding, said she didn't want to lose me, and said she'd give me a good reference if I ever wanted to come back.  If they ok the 3 months, it'll give me some time to see how things go and make that final decision.