Honored Contributor

Re: Retesting Elderly Drivers...Opinions

@Hooty wrote:

@hckynut, Oh my, is the word "elderly" a little "sensitive" to you???

Nope.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

I would not be opposed to retesting every driver every 10 yrs and after the age of 65 restest every 5.  

Hey, I could get it done every 5 right along with my colonoscopy!!! 

Honored Contributor

Just remember, if you are lucky enough to live a long life, this will be you someday.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Just remember, if you are lucky enough to live a long life, this will be you someday.

...and when that time comes, I hope that I am not selfish and only thinking of my wants and needs. That i can take myself off the road to not be a burdon to other drivers. It is a privilege to drive, not a right. A privilege that can and should be taken away when we can no longer do it right or safely.

Honored Contributor

This seems like a good idea to me.

But then perhaps the new teenage drivers should be retested too and taught the rules of the road.  How some of these drivers drive is unbelievable.  Some of them are an accident waiting to happen!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I think some states have stricter provisions for teens.  Teens should not have full access to driving anywhere and their licences should be provisional only then a second retesting should be had at age 18.  The difference is teens know what to do but they just don't and many older drivers have issues that cause them to drive unsafely so it would be a waste of money to retest young people as they would do well on the test but not drive well due to distracted driving and ignoring the rules of the road.  We had a neighbor who had his wife and son help him out to the car and lift him in then off he'd go to the club or store to get lottery tickets.  It would take forever for him to get out and back in and he had no side to side movement whatsoever.  He was just lucky everyone else watched out for him on the road as it was obvious he wasn't capable of it.   

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the thing about testing everyone, in every age bracket; the one who is being tested will just do what they have to do in front of the tester (on a drive test), and answer the questions correctly on a written test, but once they have passed, they'll just go back to their old habits of driving.

Honored Contributor

Would the OP have started this thread if the person had done the same things the "elderly" person did, and had also "not been aware" they hit something, but was between 30-60? 25-70?  How about 16-24?

What if the guilty party had "gotten confused" or had "poor reflexes" because they were drunk, high, or on Rx medications? On their cell phone? Yelling at a kid in the back seat? Just foolin' around and havin' a good time with bros/GF? But all under 65.

What are acceptable ages, ailments and perceived disabilities that don't "need" to be re-tested vs those who "need" to, and who sets the criteria?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

There are so many bad drivers on the road today..drugs ,alcohol,texting,no insurance..my DH has been hit twice and both times driver had no insurance.Theses people were young.I don't know who the most dangerous drivers are but I don't think it is the elderly.

Amen to that.  Around here it is like racetrack city.  None of these young fools has the least bit of patience, and speed limit?  What is that.  The "elderly" tend to go out to the store at midday.  Not much of a threat as far as i can see.   Its the rush hour lunatics that make me want to duck and cover!  A friend of mine stopped driving when she made a wrong turn, and had gotten lost twice very near to her house.  Her reaction times were still good, but her short term memory was nil.  I do think at 80 you ought to be tested again behind the wheel.  

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella

When I saw the title of your thread, I thought yes, at age 70, and then every 10 years subsequent to that.

After reading some of the responses, I'm now thinking maybe everyone should be re-tested every 20 years.   JMO